• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1010 Newbie here

KamikazeKunze

Hello all,
My first post here so be gentle.
I just scored a 1984 M1010 with 29k miles on it.
I have a metric ton of questions but I thought I’d start small.

1) I need tires does anyone know how large I can go without a lift? Also, do I have to worrie about wheel offset specifically in the rear?
2) What’s a safe top speed? I’ve only done 55mph and she sounds like that should be about it.
3) last owner painted it white, know where I can get original OD Green paint with out going broke?

thanks a bunch

Drock

Welcome ...33" tires are as big as you can comfortably go without a lift, and should be fine on stock rims. Safe top speed is 55MPH. The O.D. green paint is readily available, I see it on Ebay for around $60.00 per gallon delivered.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear tire width is a major issue with the tenten. I have 255/85R16 tire on Ford 7" wide steel rims. They are about as close to the body as I am comfortable with. 255 is a little over 33". Pics of mine here.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?175954-1984-M1010-CUCV-Ambulance

As far as paint, search Steel Soldiers for Behr paint. Lots of success stories using good exterior latex.

Last edited:

Drock

Also you need to study the TM's as best you can, check out the "WIKI" at the top of the forum page. And remember this low mileage truck has sat for 30+ years so ANYTHING RUBBER IS ROTTED! Start with the brakes, replace all rubber lines, calipers, wheel cylinders, and pads & shoes. The brake fluid is supposed to be DOT-5, and should be yellow or purple in color. I wouldn't take it on any 5hr trips until then, and even then you should become a AAA member.2cents

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read and study the TMs, stickies and all the old threads.
Almost every question/problem/issue has already been experienced and discussed in the old threads.
You will find answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.

Agree with going through truck before any long trips.
Most guys spend about $1-2k replacing/repairing items before truck is decently reliable.

Have fun and welcome aboard.

KamikazeKunze

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Drock, lucky for me my ten ten didn’t sit. It was used at an orchard just to bring product down to to market a few times a year. In addition to the tires I will replace all the belts. Brakes look really good as well.

Tinstar, I’ll most definitely read the TM’s

Recovry4x4, that is the tire size I was leaning towards as it’s the tallest I could get since I am worries as well about the back end. My tire shop also told me that was as wide as I could go with my stock 16x6.5” wheels.
I had to laugh out loud about the paint choice......my uncle was trying to convince me that Sherwin Williams liquid vinyl in the appropriate color would work and I thought he was pulling my leg.....LOL

I did realize that the prior owner removed the drivers side alternator:(, but thinks he may still have it.

As a side note.....any guesses on what kind of mpg I’ll get at 4600 feet in Grand Junction?

thanks again all

Last edited:

KamikazeKunze

Yeah driving a CUCV is not for the faint of heart, especially over long distances. If you plan on driving a CUCV regularly on the highway you'll need to consider an overdrive trans and/or larger tires (35"-37"). Here's a cool RPM calculator to help you understand.......... https://www.ringpinion.com/calculators/Calc_RPM.aspx
Drock, if I lift it and run 35’s or 37’s I’m sure that help in the highway as well as in the looks department but won’t that kill what little power the 6.2 can put out?

Thanks

Drock

Drock, if I lift it and run 35’s or 37’s I’m sure that help in the highway as well as in the looks department but won’t that kill what little power the 6.2 can put out?

Thanks
Sure, but not once your moving LOL! The most famous CUCV on Instagram is the "Red witch". It's a faded red M1010 contact maintenance, riding on 37" HMMWV tires. He pulls a 25'-30' trailer delivering trucks and heavy equipment all over the country with it.

Drock

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Drock, lucky for me my ten ten didn’t sit. It was used at an orchard just to bring product down to to market a few times a year. In addition to the tires I will replace all the belts. Brakes look really good as well.

Tinstar, I’ll most definitely read the TM’s

Recovry4x4, that is the tire size I was leaning towards as it’s the tallest I could get since I am worries as well about the back end. My tire shop also told me that was as wide as I could go with my stock 16x6.5” wheels.
I had to laugh out loud about the paint choice......my uncle was trying to convince me that Sherwin Williams liquid vinyl in the appropriate color would work and I thought he was pulling my leg.....LOL

I did realize that the prior owner removed the drivers side alternator:(, but thinks he may still have it.

As a side note.....any guesses on what kind of mpg I’ll get at 4600 feet in Grand Junction?

thanks again all
If it's only got 29K on it IT"S BIN SITTING LOL!

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site and the hobby. There is some nice pictures and information on olive drab about your truck Just search, cucv m1010 pictures

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the prior owner removed one of the alternators they probably converted it to 12v so the wiring may need to be studied a bit to see what they did.

KamikazeKunze

Drock/Tinstar - roger that.
mkcoen - the prior owner did state that’s what they did, however the two batteries under the hood are wired in series.
im away from the old girl now (in Denver), i’ll Reinspect when I get back and report.
thanks

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be careful of this situation... One alternator running @ 24V to charge both may sound OK, but with all of the regular lighting and wiring systems pulling 12V from one battery, it will lead to ruined batteries in short order, especially as a daily driver.

Drock/Tinstar - roger that.
mkcoen - the prior owner did state that’s what they did, however the two batteries under the hood are wired in series.
im away from the old girl now (in Denver), i’ll Reinspect when I get back and report.
thanks

KamikazeKunze

Ok.....some you you will probably bust my chops with this one, but here it goes.......
Having the pass through door to get to the back of the M1010 is awesome.
Has anyone ever thought or tried to put swivel bases on the front seats.
I thought it could be handy have a second lounge?
thanks

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok.....some you you will probably bust my chops with this one, but here it goes.......
Having the pass through door to get to the back of the M1010 is awesome.
Has anyone ever thought or tried to put swivel bases on the front seats.
I thought it could be handy have a second lounge?
thanks
Swivel seats bring back memories of a friend's Olds 442 in the parking lot of the high school. The engineering has already been done so grabbing a set of Oldsmobile seats might be an option.
It's tight in that cab so a guy might need to be creative but the 1010 is a great platform. Nice truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks