• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV M1028 Tach Assistance

Nate475

Here's the tachometer that I'm buying next. This one will fit into a 2 inch gauge hole and it's very easy to install. The sensor kit features two glue magnets and a sensor that mounts to the front oil pan bolt. You won't need to do a fancy wiring job with this tachometer.

http://usdieselparts.com/i-13464519-universal-electronic-tachometer-r8503.html

http://usdieselparts.com/search.html?q=R8900&go=Search

I have a M1028 that I am delighted with. I would like to install a tach to keep an eye on engine RPM's.

How can this be done with the 6.2 engine? I heard one can be plugged in to the back of the alternator. What tach should I buy?

View attachment 529264View attachment 529265

I thought I would show it off.

Thanks,

Steve

goldneagle

Here's the tachometer that I'm buying next. This one will fit into a 2 inch gauge hole and it's very easy to install. The sensor kit features two glue magnets and a sensor that mounts to the front oil pan bolt. You won't need to do a fancy wiring job with this tachometer.

http://usdieselparts.com/i-13464519-universal-electronic-tachometer-r8503.html

http://usdieselparts.com/search.html?q=R8900&go=Search
The tachometer I recommended looks just like your link but only costs $50 and does not need the magnets to function. Just tap into the single brown wire on the driver side alternator. It's available on a well known auction site.

cavetech

The tachometer I recommended looks just like your link but only costs $50 and does not need the magnets to function. Just tap into the single brown wire on the driver side alternator. It's available on a well known auction site.
The tach that taps into the brown wire is installed in the dashboard right where my master electrical cut off switch is, so the switch would have to be re-positioned.

Where can the switch be installed so the tach can go in its place?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, could someone have added a master electric cutoff switch? My trucks don't have that.

Nate475

Are you talking about the black out light switch that shuts all of the lights off? If so, I'm going to assume that you are installing the tachometer in the spot where the black out light switches are. I'm moving my black out switches when I install an AC kit and the best place looks to be just below the original position on the metal portion of the dash.

Nate475

Hey Goldneagle,
my m1009 has been converted to 12v and I only have the passenger side alternator. I haven't been out today to check it yet but I don't think that should matter. So all you did was connect a wire onto that far right terminal shown in the picture of your alternator and then run that directly into the back of you tachometer? I heard that there was other components needed which is why I was straying away from it. If that's all that you did then I'm going to do the same. If there's more to this or I misunderstood, please let me know.

goldneagle

Hey Goldneagle,
my m1009 has been converted to 12v and I only have the passenger side alternator. I haven't been out today to check it yet but I don't think that should matter. So all you did was connect a wire onto that far right terminal shown in the picture of your alternator and then run that directly into the back of you tachometer? I heard that there was other components needed which is why I was straying away from it. If that's all that you did then I'm going to do the same. If there's more to this or I misunderstood, please let me know.
There are no other components required. Just tap into the Brown (tan) wire on the alternator. I think my thread has the proper micro switch toggle pattern stated. There is a small set screw that can do the fine tuning once you have the right range.

"It's so easy a caveman can do it"

llong66

Nate, if your truck has been converted to 12v, make sure the alt. that you do have has a tach output on it. Im not sure if both of mine do, just the DS one for sure.

cavetech

OK, I'm back.

Attached is a picture of my M1028 dashboard where the main power switch is located. I believe it is where the tach fits in the instrument hole. My M1028 is the only one I have ever seen, so I thought all of them had electric cut off switches there.

Where could the switch be moved so I can install the tach in its place?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick look at the -10(basic operators level) TM would show you that is NOT original.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can move it anywhere you like.

You could also just mount a tach under the dash with a bracket.

You choose.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate switches with no labels.

rsh4364

There are no other components required. Just tap into the Brown (tan) wire on the alternator. I think my thread has the proper micro switch toggle pattern stated. There is a small set screw that can do the fine tuning once you have the right range.

"It's so easy a caveman can do it"
Thanks Goldneagle,have same tach and hope to get installed this week,looks very easy,I hope I don't have to fine tune,that hole on side is very small.

rsh4364

OK, I'm back.

Attached is a picture of my M1028 dashboard where the main power switch is located. I believe it is where the tach fits in the instrument hole. My M1028 is the only one I have ever seen, so I thought all of them had electric cut off switches there.

Where could the switch be moved so I can install the tach in its place?
I would leave it there,get a new radio block off plate and put tach there,theres room for two gauges in the block off plate.