• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Military Tires VS Civilian Tires???

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have searched the past threads and read all of everything I could find on the tires for CUCV’s. But I have still had a question and would value some opinions. My last M1008 came with the H1 8 bolts and the 36 inch bias ply Goodyear tires and I love the way they looked on the truck and didn’t mind trimming the fender to fit them. However they SUCKED to ride on and I could not get them balanced. So here is the question, would you rather have your choice of aftermarket tires OR you choice of H1 12 bolt’s with the radial tires for the same money? Or is the only reason we like the military wheels and tires is because we may be able to get them cheaper than a set of nice aftermarket tires? For instance, I was quoted a price of $950.00 for a set (4) of 12 bolt H1 rims with the run flats installed and a 95% tread radial Goodyear’s (I would still have to get a set of 2 inch spacers to run the H1) so that would be like $1100.00 installed. But for that money I could get a set of one the best aftermarket tires made. I like the way the H1’s look and like the way the bias ply 36’s look better than the 37’s. I know how the 36’s ride (BAD) and would hate to have just as much money in the military tires/wheels as the best set of M/T mud tires out there. So what would you do? Which is a better all around tire the Military Goodyear’s or a set of aftermarket tires for a M1008? [thumbzup]

Last edited:

burbn10

I got the 37" Goodyear Radials and they handle and ride awesome. I have one oval one, but the other 3 even balanced quite well. $350 for the set of 4 on Ebay with 98% tread. Mounted them on 16.5x10 American Racing aluminum Baja wheels that I picked up for about $108 each. I have a 4" suspension lift and did absolutely minimum trimming. (Less than a 1/4") But if I was doing more offroading, I would definitely get different tires like some BFG MT2s or Pro Comp X-Terrains.... The Goodyears hold their own offroad, but handle great on road.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires

Burbin10, your truck looks great with the 37's. So you went with the aftermarket AR wheels, and the military tires. And thanks for the reply about how they ride and handle. So you have about $850.00 +/- in your tire/wheel combo, not to mention the $$ spent on the suspension. I was trying to keep my project on the less expensive side. I found a set of 16x8 steel wheels for free and can then put a nice set of M/T tires on for around $600.00.

My question is really: Do people only get the H1 rims and tires if they can save money over the aftermarket tires? :-D

David

ABN173

My question is really: Do people only get the H1 rims and tires if they can save money over the aftermarket tires? :-D

David
David,

In todays economy I think most people are out to save money, others may simply prefer the look and sound the HMMWV tires make(as I do). Having said this the stock tires on my M1008 still have a fair amount life left in them so I'm going to wait before going the milspec tires route.

I used to have a M1009 with civy rock crawler wheels and bias 36" HMMWV tires on it, they were just fine for look/performance, even on the highway.

I don't think your going to get a simple answer to your question though as it simply comes down to personal preferance.

-Dale

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my take. The Goodyear M/Ts are a great multi use tire. Sensible on the road, decent in the mud and great on the rocks. I even had the 35x15" version on my old Jeep and loved them. Guess I'm partial to a tire that can handle multiple rolls.

The joy of the 12 bolts is the double beadlock. Lots of folks out there using these wheels on rock rigs. The spacers or re-centering are the thorn in the side with these wheels. Beads should get them to balance pretty nicely.

The price you have for the wheel tire combo is kinda high in my opinion. Also, the 16x8 steel wheels you mentioned, DON'T use them. These tires are 16.5" and that is a sure way to hurt someone mounting the 16.5 tire on the 16" rim. I prefer the mil setup but have considered going to a civvy rim. Remember, the 16.5 has almost no safety bead so airing down frequently causes the beads to pop off.

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tires

Hey Dale, good to talk to you again, yep i suspect it's personal choice and that's why I was fishing for opinions. Thaks, for the info on the 36's. I really like the way they look but had a very hard time getting them to run smooth (never did). Another thing to consider is that the H1 rims and tires weigh about 160lbs each with the run flats installed....that's a lot of un-srung weight to add to the truck. Here is a photo of my last truck.

Would you rather buy a truck with the Military H1 wheels/tires or a nice set of M/T tires on the stock rims? :driver:

I think I know the answer[thumbzup]

David

Attachments

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
16x8

"The price you have for the wheel tire combo is kinda high in my opinion. Also, the 16x8 steel wheels you mentioned, DON'T use them"

I agree with the price. Yep, I know the H1 are 16.5 and the stock are 16, I was talking about putting new M/T aftermarket tires (16's )on the 16x8 wheels. [thumbzup]

David

Midnight Rider

The next tires I get will be civilian tires. I plan on buying a set of Continental Grabber tires. I work at Continental so I should be able to get them a little cheaper. I'll be using the stock rims too.

allrevup

The H1 tires are infirior to todays ON or OFF ROAD tires, not to mention the bad Quality Control, a mayor problem with the 36" bias-ply. On the possitive side they are adecuate, price right and they look purposefull built on this trucks.

The H1 wheels do have a great advantage in that ones fited via recentering or with spacer, they will afordably give you double internal bead locks/runflat and you can take the wheel apart on the trail with hand tools if nothing else is avalible

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels

Thanks! I do like to way the H1’s looks, but am having a real hard time justifying the price of a set of 12 bolts with 37’s. They want $800.00 plus $150.00 shipping. Then you add the spacers… anyway I don’t really care about the run flat’s and airing down for serious off road use. But would like to have an aggressive tire that has good road manners and good off road grip if needed, I think most people would rather have a good aftermarket tire for the same money they would spend on the military tires.

Anyone have a nice picture of there truck with the 285.75/16’s installed?

Thanks, David

allrevup

As other have mention...At $1000-$1200 you are on the high side of what used H1 wheels sell for, specialy the 8 bolt with the 36" tire.

If you stay under 33"(or its metric equivalent) you can install much better tires for less then that. And for a bit more you can also install a new set of steel Rockcrawlers wheels and be done with it... good for a dual purpose or Daily Driver, easey to fit & balance , light and no flat spots

MARCO1031

I have been considering putting 12 bolt HMMWV wheels and radials on my M1031. Recovery4x4 has a great deal on a complete set of rims and tires. Unfortunately I just cant afford to spend the money on the spacers and lift. So with that said what is the largest tire I can safely run on my stock rims? My truck spends most of its time on the highway so my primary goal for larger tires was to get higher top end speed and bring the engine RPMs down.

allrevup

They are the old (wagon) steel wheels, some brands have spokes, some round holes and some have imitation rock rings. they are ALL about the same unless you are going to trash then and need to buy the Heavy Guage steel.

I could not find the tread but someone recently posted they paid about $1200-1400 (?) for a package set to his shop door. Tire rack, Discount tire, Jeg's, Summit and even JC whitney have good prices depending on the season and price of steel... $60-$120 depending on what size wheel you are using.

Spring 4x4 part and accessories prices are like the A/C prices in July and August, HIGH! 2cents

Marco1031 it depends on the wheel size and tire width, but with out any lift I belive you can intall 33" with out problem or even taller skiny tires

Last edited:

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
tires

Without any lift or cutting I have seen posts of trucks with 285/75/16's. I had to cut/trim the fenders to fit the 36's. :D

Bummy

I just ordered off of eBay five 255/100 r16 michelin xzl copy cats from China, model yellow sea Ys20. A few dollars north of 2k with shipping to my neck of the woods. Did the measurements and they should just clear on my 1028 will update with pictures as soon as I get them next week.
.:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks