• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Motor Mount Bolts

Barrman

My 1984 former USAF 6.2 powered C20 Suburban was running great. I stopped at the store on the way home from work the other day. I fired it up and even though it sounded ok. There was a noticeable vibration. At idle, in gear and while driving. It ran like normal though. It did make a weird sound and vibration when letting off the throttle at speed.

I got it home and didn't have time to even look at it that night. Which of course left me to wonder all kind of expensive problems. Was the IP going? Did the balancer rubber let go? I really thought it was this one because besides being a known problem, the vibration started right way after starting it back up. Did it eat a valve? Maybe a glow plug tip broke off? etc...

I crawled under the engine the next evening. Balancer rubber was solid, no cracks and no sign of it shifting. While down there I noticed the passenger side motor mount bolt was about 3 inches out. Looking at the other side of the mount I saw where the engine side steel shell was touching the frame. I put a bottle jack under the pan with a block of wood to spread the load. Once the engine went up some, the bolt went right back in. A new nut secured it there.

I checked the other side and the nut was loose. Starting the engine had everything back like it was. Smoooooth.

Checking my two 1009 trucks found 1 of the motor mount nuts hand loose and 2 able to be tightened a good bit with a wrench. That means 5 of my 6 6.2 motor mount bolts on 3 vehicles were loose to some degree. The three vehicles in question came from three different states. Two were GSA trucks and another was GL. No common link besides being mid 1980's GM square body trucks with a 6.2 engine.

You might want to check yours the next time you are down there.

Barrman

I forgot to add that a 1988 Navy K30 being worked on in my class didn't even have the nuts for the motor mount bolts when I checked it after I found the problem on the bomber.

Skinny

Thank you very much...one more for the punch list. May I add while you are under there to torque the starter fasteners as well, mine all turned 1/4 to 1/2 turn...yikes!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks