• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV oil filler cap

Dieselsmoke

If i remember right civvy one is completely sealed, mil one is vented. Civvy one is plastic, mil one is metal, and big.

Jersey4x4

Thecliosed flat metal cap will cause oil leaks since there is no way to vent excess pressure. You MUST use the tall vented cap to allow intake and exhaust of crankcase pressure. The cap is available from any autoparts store but you must look up for a 1978, 79, 80 chevy diesel truck with the old 5.7l diesel. I just bought one a few days ago from Advance Auto Parts

CCATLETT1984

Jersey4x4 said:
Thecliosed flat metal cap will cause oil leaks since there is no way to vent excess pressure. You MUST use the tall vented cap to allow intake and exhaust of crankcase pressure. The cap is available from any autoparts store but you must look up for a 1978, 79, 80 chevy diesel truck with the old 5.7l diesel. I just bought one a few days ago from Advance Auto Parts
crank gases are vented through the CDR valve and into the intake.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to PS Mag, this cap is used to prevent pressurizing in the event of a freeze up of the oil fill tube in excessively cold temps, however often that might happen anywhere but Alaska in the winter.... My civvy truck has the standard cap and it's never given me a problem.

Jersey4x4

CCATLETT1984 said:
Jersey4x4 said:
crank gases are vented through the CDR valve and into the intake.
That is true however there are atmosphear changes and that CDR valve is known to reak havoc on the Military engines but it is required to make the engine sealed from dust and other outside elements unlike the CIV version of the 6.2. If the government went through the trouble to put it there and recomend changing it every 10,000 miles and it has its own section in the tech manual I think it needs to be there. I ran mine for a few weeks with the civ cap and noticed the slight oil leak I had was now a quart every 2 day then went to the vented cap and it is just back to a drip, so there is some effect on pressure. Of course I do use my truck to its limits just as the military does so that might have some effect too. :lol:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks