• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV oil leak

papa8856

Hi guys,

I can't find anything about the problem I'm having. Please give me any suggestions. When my truck is parked on level ground I have a oil leak about 2 inches in diameter in a couple of days. But when I park in my driveway with a slight incline it doesn't leak. Not one drop. Could it be the timing chain cover? What do you think?

Thanks Ken

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you notice the leak, under what part of the truck is it?
Is it motor, transmission or gear oil?
Power steering or brake fluid?

Have you crawled underneath and looked?
The front crankshaft seal is a known leaker.
If your harmonic balancer is original it needs replaced and you can change the front seal at same
time.

Go to car wash and clean under engine as best you can.
Drive it enough to bring temps up and then crawl back under with flashlight and locate leak.

It could be a number of things.

The parked on incline and no leak is just the oil is creeping somewhere else and isn’t flowing enough to drop.

I keep my engines as clean as possible. When there is an issue, I can spot it right away.

Last edited:

dependable

Also, confirm it is not dirty fuel. Leaks return lines, IP, etc, often look like oil once they have dripped down the engine, and can end up pretty far from where the leak is occurring by the time they hit the ground. Any fuel in the valley under the intake manifold? that would drip more on incline.

Barrman

Look in the valley under the intake too. If the IP is leaking, the valley will be wet. There is a drain at the back of the valley for the fuel to run out. By the time the leaking fuel gets to the ground, it looks like oil. If you park nose down, the fuel won't drain out.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found two trucks that had the right side valve cover develop a leak near the rear of the engine. I noticed them when I had the inner fender out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks