• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV on hospice, wife wants to pull the plug

johnpdo

Okay, got the replacement for the replacement injector pump and when it showed up a piece was broken off of it. it was the bottom of the advance lever that has a hex bolt in it. Call the company and they were ready to send me another pump which would have been the third pump. I asked him if it was okay if I just pulled out the pin was holding the lever off the last pump to swap it with this pump and they said sure give it a try. We were getting ready to close for the day so I told them I would call them on Monday to let them know if it was successful. So far I've got the pump back on but taking a break for our daughters graduation to finish putting on the intake on Monday. keeping my fingers crossed this time :)

johnpdo

Can you PM me who the company is? Im about ready to order one,and really only want to do this once.
It is Diesel Care and Performance inc. out of Memphis Tennessee. Their website is www.dieselcare.us or www.startercentral.com.
It was a say off ebay and it is a rebuild of your injector pump. It was $285, and you send them your pump and then they send you a replacement. It came really quickly but I've had a few issues. they are incredibly nice on the phone and are very helpful and I am hoping this one works.
It was a lot cheaper than going to Reillys or Advance Auto or Napa and I probably could have had these issues with their pumps too as they are all rebuilt nowadays. Hope this helps

johnpdo

Update: The injector pump ordeal is over! The last pump (2nd one shipped) worked perfectly after I switched out the broken lever from the 1st pump sent. I must say that Diesel Care was professional the whole time, and apologetic. They were going to overnight me a 3rd pump, but I was able to make a simple switch on the 2 pumps. When installed, there were no adjustments needed, which surprised me a bit. The truck runs smooth, and best of all, it no longer leaks all my diesel onto the ground.

On another note, the shifting issue I had was solved completely by $1.50 of vacuum hose from O'Riellys. I am so thankful this forum exists. Everyone that commented helped. The truck shifts so smoothly now I can't even tell it's changing gears. In fact, on the first test drive of the IP change, I didn't think it was even changing gears. I had to stop and put it in 1st manually, and then shift to 2nd and drive just to see. Then when trying again in Drive and paying close attention, I could discern the shift. Amazing what new rubber hose can do.

Now, to work on my other toy, which I have looking pretty, but needs new pistons/rings/cylinder boring. Thanks all!
Porsche Super.jpg

johnpdo

Is this common with these pumps?
I think it's common for the seals to leak after several years. Since I didn't have any special tools, it was either the place I chose or a local swap with OReillys or Napa which was gong to be 2x the cost. I don't know if I chose right, but I am finally happy and back in business.

I've got a 6.2 daily driver well over 200k miles, and the pump is just starting to get soft, and every now and then it acts up and won't idle well, and on the freeway every now and then it runs on for a half second after I pull off the throttle. But it has been rock solid for ten years.

I think it's common for the seals to leak after several years. Since I didn't have any special tools, it was either the place I chose or a local swap with OReillys or Napa which was gong to be 2x the cost. I don't know if I chose right, but I am finally happy and back in business.

TexAndy

Honestly, the IP on a cucv looks like the kind of thing it would behoove the owner to learn how to service himself.

It seems like the common issue is with seals. And from what I can tell going by anecdotes relayed on the internet, replacing the seals seems to be all a "rebuild" usually entails with most of the remanufactured pumps. 3 or 4 hundred dollars seems like alot of money for something like that.

And there does appear to be quite a bit of available information about how to repair and service DB2 injector pumps.

I agree on that, I had a spare pump from a truck we had that broke the block that I was going to use, but it got tossed by someone thinking it was trash, grrrr. It would have been great to rebuild as a learning unit.

Last edited:

edpdx

Agree with the masses. My Blazer shifted late and hard. I replaced all vacuum lines, the trnx modulator and cleaned up the IP crystal ball. It makes all the difference for a small amount of work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks