• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV painted military yellow?

True Knight

I've had my M1028 for a little over a year now, and when this (not so) expertly applied CARC green chips off it reveals a bright yellow paint underneath. The truck belonged to the Army. I know this because you can still see the stars they sprayed right over. Does anyone know why they would have painted the truck yellow or have you ever had the same issue with your CUCV?

mutt1966

depends on were your seeing the stars that are painted over if there on the doors I dont think the military did that if its yellow sounds like it was a county or township vehicle ay one time at least thats what they paint them around here. Cheers Scott

True Knight

The star is a small one, on the left of the pintle hook. I bought the truck from a government auction, and went through the whole 'registering a military vehicle for the first time' process so I am the first 'civilian' owner of the truck. There were actually about 30 CUCV's that were sold the same day I got mine. M1008's, M1028's, and M1009's.

Last edited:

True Knight

Yeah I thought it might have been Crash fire rescue or some kinda range safety truck. I know the lime/neon green color your talking about for the Crash fire rescue trucks. I've seen them a bunch of times by the flight lines. This is a really yellow yellow though. I tried to take a picture but its to dark for it to come out right today.

What happens to all the vehicle logbooks and maintenance logs that the military had on these vehicles? Were they destroyed when the vehicles left the service? It would be awesome to find out where my truck was in service and have record of all the maintenance done on it.

MILrestorer

The U.S. Forest Service painted them yellow & black. I own a yellow M1008 that was used as a fire truck and supposedly had a water tank mounted in the bed. It was also rigged with a Beacon light and CB antenna mounts on the roof. Im currently in the process of restoring it back to 383 CARC green.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of military fire trucks are painted plain old yellow. But CUCVs, and other vehicles, seem to have also been painted odd colours. Pawnshop's M1009 was pink when it was bought at auction. We figured it had to be very faded red, but no, in the shaded areas that never saw sunlight - rosy pink. He restored it to it's natural 383 state!

Recently on Ft Hood, there were a bunch of Humvees painted partially, or entirely, chocolate brown. Some were semi-sweet, some milk chocolate! :p (ie- dark and light brown). Milk chocolate even had stars.

The attached photos only represent what I am talking about (even with awful quality of one) because no one would accidentally take pictures on base. :whistle:

Cheers

Attachments

blackhueys

When I was stationed at ft.Irwin California aka the big sandbox, the opfor vehicles we used were old cucvs painted all kinds of colors we had black green yellow etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks