• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv prepurchase inspection tips

drewmech

So think I found a solid deal on M1009. I'm going to go take a look at it this weekend and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what to look for, whats a no go, and whats normal. I know all these old chevys have certain rust issues but I've always delt with the pickups not the Blazers. Is it just typical wheel wells, door corners, and the floorboard seams? Not a diesel mechanic so no idea what to look for on the engine its self. The tranny is no big deal as a I'm no stranger to the TH400. Any thoughts or advice would be great. Thanks

bkwudzhom

I'm not even close to being an expert buy any means but one thing for certian does come to mind.
Check the starter and see if the support bracket is there. If not the the bolts can easily break off in the block.---Just bought my 1008--dont ask me how I know.

drewmech

I did read that. It seemed to be geared to the repair of common problems and not purchasing one from another private party. While all of the information there is useful and provides a basis to go off of its not entirely what I am looking for. I am really looking to avoid spending money on a project that will involve alot more time and effort then it is really worth. So information on the particulars of a CUCV that entail more then a common or easy repair and how/where to find them is what I'm after. I know what I'm look for on used civilian chevy pick ups with gas motors but I know nothing about diesel engines and what to look for on them. I know nothing about the Blazer body rust areas. I did also did a search of the forums and didn't come up with much. Just figured it was worth an ask.

niferous

Rust in the common areas and also around the tailgate area. Check the vin and make sure it's a real CUCV and not a civi somebody modified. On old 4x4 trucks I get underneath them and look for signs of serious off roading. I know some is to be expected but I want to make sure it wasn't driven through a lake. Look for build up of mud around the inside of the frame rails towards the front of the engine. Also while you are under the check the frame for any obvious signs of repair like welds that don't look factory etc.

Finally when you turn the key to the accesory position check the dash lights that come on. Sometimes there will be a problem that the truck can run with but people remove the bulb from the dash so the light does not come on when someone is test driving it.

AFC1

Look closely at the passenger side floor from underneath the Blazer. 9 times out of 10 the floor is ripped/ rotted due to people slamming the front passenger seat forward to access the rear seat. GM should have reinforced this area of the floor better, but they didn't. Also make sure your rear driveshaft is not bent and your trans to transfer case adapter is not cracked due to the vehicle being lifted by a forklift.

N Arizona

Drew,
I was fairly new to diesels when i bought my truck but don't be afraid of them. Every thing that applies to a gas motor is the same for a diesel. The difference is check the injection pump. Run it hard and get it hot and then try to restart it. This will show a few problems like the glow plug controller and IP. Keep in mind this is a 25 year old vehicle and there are going to be problems no matter how nice of a blazer you find. Time was any part for a square box chevy could be found at a local auto parts store or junk yard. I have found that these are now special order and forget about decent parts at the pick and pull. Not to discourge these are great trucks just be prepared.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with getting under the truck and checking it out and running it hard and trying to restart.

Another thing that I do when buying a used 4x4, or any truck for that matter: While having someone else drive, stand behind the truck and make sure it is not going sideways down the road. Note that the front tires stand a little proud of the rears. Do this on both sides, not just one. Some of the trucks I looked at had this and it usually means that the frame got 'tweaked'. Pass on it, means frame work, ie $$$.

Also, after running it hard, get a rag and wipe the inside of the exhaust pipe, greasy black soot (excessive) means something is out of wack with the injection.

Good Luck!

raiburn

bkwud, When I got mine, it had no starter. I've since bought a new starter, and it has worked fine. What is this support bracket you speak of? Am I in danger? Joe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks