• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV purchase

dlackore

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the whole CUCV world and am very very interested. I actually decided to post this thread in hopes of getting some advice. I want to purchase a cucv (M1009 I believe, its the 1.5 ton pickup?) but am weary about driveability. I guess my questions are as follows:

1.) I plan to use this as a daily driver, but would also like to be able to drive on the highway without worry for good chunks of time. It has the 3 speed T400 with 4.10 gears. Would I be best off replacing the tranny (if so with what?), replacing the gears, or purchasing a GV o/d unit?

2.) Newb question. . . Anyone know the bolt pattern of the 16" rim, and the max tire size I could go without mods of any kind (no lift, fender trimming, etc. . .)

3.) Has anyone had troubles with their 6.2 starting in cold temps (-10 to -40 we're talkin here). I live in northern mn.

Thanks in advance for all of your help and advice!!

~dlackore

91W350

The 1.25 ton pickups would be the M1008 and the M1028, they are geared at 4.56 and will run extended highway time, at under 60 mph. You are colder than we are. My M1008 starts down to -10 without being plugged in.

The M1009 has the 3.08 gear ratio and is a Blazer.

The 6.2 is pretty rpm friendly for a diesel, but 65 is really leaning on one. I try to stay under 55 and generally under 50. It is amazing what you see at that speed. One weekend I put on 1200 miles in two days and two weeks later I put on 1000 miles.

We took it to Jefferson City, picked up my M1009 and drove them both home. The M1008 went about 900 miles that day.

I always loved the CUCV for its simplicity and realative economical fuel consumption. If you are wanting to pound the pavement at 70, you would be better off with a Cummins/Powerstroke. If you are looking for a good solid workhorse of a truck and are not in a big hurry to get there. The 1008-1028 is wonderful.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008

The M1008 has 4.56 gears. If you want 4.10 gears you will have to purchase the new gears and also change the carrier on the rear as there is a carrier break at 4.10. The Rear is a 14bolt corp unit. This being said, you also have to change not only the rear but also the front as well, with the front being a Dana60? I do not know the requirements for a gear change on the Dana but someone here should be able to steer you in the right direction. The rear should cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 clams in parts with a new carrier, labour extra. This is also assuming that all interior parts are good, bearings, etc.. The front would be ?? as I have no experience on Dana units.

A GV OD unit will cost you about 2600 clams out of the box and then you will have to find someone to put it in if you can't do the job yourself.

Someone with more knowledge on both the M1008 and M1009 will be along shortly to give their input for a tranny swap on both.

M1008 (truck) and M1009 (blazer)

Both will take 33" tires with little problem. You might need to slightly trim the fender at the bottom of the wheelwells at the rear of the well. Each truck is slightly different, Ive had trucks that needed no fender trimming and their sisters needed trimming.

Last edited:

4bogginchevys

I would say if someone wants to trade thier 4.10's for your 4.56's they're gonna owe you a bit. the 4.56 gears are sought after in the aftermarket alot for guys with 38" and bigger tires. It is a good idea for you though, if you want more speed and dont mind sacrificing a little towing power. The carrier break for a dana 60 is 4.10 also. You could change the tranny to a 700r4, or 4l80e if you like auto's, both will cost more than a good rebuild of a 400t. I would not do tranny and gears in the diffs, but I dont know all of your uses. Good luck finding a truck, a little time researching some threads here will help you find the perfect one.:-D

dlackore

Thank you everyone. I would be using this truck to make my commute to work (only about a 10 mile round trip) and on days like today where we get 14 inches of wet sticky snow, it would sure be nice to have. I did drive the truck I wanted just the other day, and I was able to get it to 70 mph, but it was screamin. It is the non dually if that helps (m1008 then, correct?) in the gearing question. It seemed a bit too quick to have 4.56's in it, and I wasn't sure it the rear end was posi or not. Perhaps someone swapped it out already which is something I'll have to look into. I have read a lot about these trucks, and am a truck guy. I would like to keep the 3 speed auto, and don't really want to tear the thing apart just so I can drive it, which is why I was thinking gear vendors unit. Does anyone know what the swap from 4.56's to 4.10's would entail? Would I need new carriers, etc. . . ? If I'm going to spend $1500 in parts gears, I'll spring the extra $1000 for the GV unit so I can keep my low gearing. Thanks again for everyone's help, I really appreciate it!!!

overkill375

It would be easier to swap a 700 and matching t case out of a burb blazer or pickup. You need the t-case becasue the 700r4 is always 27 spline output. Find a suburban on CL there are tons of cheap ones around here. You should have enough parts to put the other truck back together and resell.

Zero_cool

I dont know if anyone will read this being that its been almost a year since anyone posted here but i dont want to start a new post if i dont have to,so here goes. I have a 1987 M1028 And i would like it to be more highway friendly. Can i just put in a 700tr tranny and t/c and be done with it or do i have to change the 4.56 gears aswell. And do i have to do anything to the engine or can i leave it as is?
Thanks in advance,
Dano

2deuce

The M1008 and M1028 make a great platform to build yourself a pickup especially where offroad capabilities are wanted. Farm truck, wood hauler, anything where work needs to be done they shine. For the money, they can't be beat. Now with that said, I have a good one forsale.:mrgreen:

combatmech

For me, the M1009 was a good choice. I plan on getting rid of the TH400. Untill then....I run on the hi-way at around 60.
My advice.... BE PICKY. You arent going to find a perfect truck...it does take some looking around. And 2duce is right. Worth the money and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun to drive around.....Good luck!!

Yeah they are So much fun lol i want to drive mine i wanna i wanna i bought my m1008 an old usda forresty truck with holes in the roof to go along with italso previous owner was the USAF pretty odd in my eyes most M1008s are national guard and usmc,army ( i have a donor roof from another pickup just gotta get time oh wait needs to be running first oh well They really are good trucks when they are drivable ( i so want to drive mine i wanna i wanna):funny::beer: i crack myself up kinda reminds me of murdock off the Ateam:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks