• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Registration Question

ChiefMinion

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in CA, I have a standard passenger plate. I see where someone from CA has already posted, but as much grief as I give the DMV out here, I want to give them credit when they do something right. The VIN on the form 97 was incorrect in one digit. (That's probably the reason AAA couldn't get the transaction into the DMV computer.) The people at DMV verified the VIN and discovered the error. (Panic starts to creep in...) Turns out that all I had to do was sign a form swearing that I didn't know there was a discrepancy and things rolled merrily onward. Walked out with tags. Title arrived 10 days later.

ryan77

Illinois registered as a Chevrolet Carry all!!! Insurance took a little explaining to Liberty Mutual!!! But what do you expect from city folks!!!!!

epitts

USAA was a little confused by the VIN as well. From what I'm told, it's because the trucks have never been in the " system " as registered vehicles.

USAA had no problem with my M1009. Here in Indiana you go with regular blazer or as antique. Or as I did antique military truck using the Army reg number as my state number no plates required.

GoldComet6

My GA title lists the M1009 as:

Make: Chevrolet
Type of Body: Multi Purpose vehicle
Model: D10

It has a regular license plate, but I could have gotten an antique one if I wanted to pay extra for it.

ryan77

What the **** is going on with Wisconsin!!!!! Everyday its something else!!! I thought Illinois was the screwed up one???????????? Guess were not that bad anymore!!!! We do have one Governor in Jail, another going to jail and the new one just got rid of the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a joke!! Sorry for the rant!!!!!2cents

998Junkie

I went to register mine this week. The SF-97 has the model as a military postal vehicle. Not to much trouble when I was doing the paperwork.

The problem is in the vin check when the inspector is looking for the "this vehicle meets federal safety standards" The sticker on the driver side door does not have this. Since its military it's exempt from this, problem is it confused the DMV inspector (the truck was older than he was).

I got a temp tag but the paper work went to RPU-III in Sacramento. I can't wait to see what happens.:roll:

cucv1833

I applied for a ''Good faith" title for my m1008 cause i had Zero paper work on it. It is now registered and insured as a (1985 K-30 chevy truck). due to not having the paperwork I had to do some affidavits, have a state trooper come look and fill out paperwork, and get insurance. I had to wait a year to get the title. My new M1009 i have the Sf-97 and bill of sale notirized so i only need the Troopers to come check it out and im all set.

undysworld

To All,

These are great, exactly what I'm looking for. Please add your info, even if your state has already been mentioned. DMVs make mistakes too, so we want to show as many examples as possible.

The problem is in the vin check when the inspector is looking for the "this vehicle meets federal safety standards" The sticker on the driver side door does not have this.
This certification sticker is also something Wisconsin is relying on, but law does not support this. For additional info to support this argument, please pm me. I'm trying to keep the focus of this thread on registration examples only. Thanks.

Paul

jimm1009

In Louisiana and in Indiana you have to have the SF-97 to start the title process or you have to have a title from another owner.
The CUCVs are exempt but they do meet DOT specs at the time that they are manufactured.
There is a 800 number that you can use to call GM and they will send you a letter stating that the vehicle meets DOT standard for the year of manufacture. If you sticker is gone from the drivers door then this can cause them to have a little "gas" but again, if all else fails you can get the letter from GM for no charge. I don't have the number handy as it is on my desk at work but they are very helpful.
They (CUCVs) are a D-series truck and this does throw off some LEOs that are verifying the VIN. Here in Loose-my-banana they don't want to put the M-series model number on the title or registration because they are a little (actually a lot) behind the times in the DMV but there should be no states that can impose restrictions on a CUCV as they are 98.5 % a civilian vehicle.

In Louisiana and Indiana you can register the truck using the military VIN stenciled on the front and rear and this becomes your license plate number. Not a lot of owners in these two states and most of the DMV people are aware of this but it surre is nice. License plates really look silly back there.
jimm1009

cucv1833

In Louisiana and in Indiana you have to have the SF-97 to start the title process or you have to have a title from another owner.

In Louisiana and Indiana you can register the truck using the military VIN stenciled on the front and rear and this becomes your license plate number. Not a lot of owners in these two states and most of the DMV people are aware of this but it surre is nice. License plates really look silly back there.
jimm1009
How do i register it with the stenciled markings? The pic is my new truck can i use those markings? That would be cool but i think the cops would pull me over alot not knowing that is legal.

This is Louisiana requirements
REQUIREMENTS
  • An "SF97" or "DA-3772" form will be accepted in lieu of a title or a Manufacture's Certificate of Origin
  • Vehicle application form 1799
  • A notarized bill of sale which includes the odometer reading
  • An affidavit of physical inspection. The physical inspection must be performed by a full-time Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified law enforcement officer who has been trained and certified by the Department of Public Safety and Corrections, Office of State Police, to inspect motor vehicles.
  • Vehicle application form 1631 if applying for a public license plate
  • Applicable fees and taxes

Attachments

Sardot1

I just registered one Thursday. A whopping $23 for one year based up on the original sale price of $11,500 for a 1986 Blazer (not what the gooberment paid). Arizona comes up with a designation as a "Chevy D1B" and this one is a 2DSW the other is a PU according to the AZ MVD. I think that is just what the person behind the counter decided to call it. If my wife had her way they'd be designated UGLYPOS. In Arizona they are regular vehicles with NO restrictions at all related to their military history. Any vehicle over 25 years old can get a Historical Vehicle plate. Here its just another vanity plate, no restrictions on them.

USAA merely calls it a Chevy Blazer. It does take speaking to a supervisor to clear that one up since they don't come up on the VIN search the first time out of GL.

CarFax calls them a "CHEVROLET D10 MILITARY BLAZER"

My first M1009 came from...where else? Sparta, Wisconsin.:roll:

M1008driver

The VIN to my M1008 was in the system when I registered the truck. I got tags easily, but could not get permanent tags because it is listed as over a 1 ton. Other than that I had no problems in Montana.

We do not have vehicle inspections here because they are just a scam to make more revenue.

jimm1009

In Louisiana look for RS:490.16C and also DMV Policy of the same number.

The actual law is from 2005 but they have used the law to implement policy dated 07/01/10.

The title can be obtained throught the local office but the registration must be done through the special plate division in Baton Rouge.

You can go there in person or simply mail it in to the P.O. box address.

What I do is when I get the title done, I scan and e-mail it to the BTR office with the request telling them what I want to do.
I also show the the paperwork showing the total fees pied to date and ask them for the total fee for the registration using the RS.
The usually respond in a day or two and then I send a check in with the e-mail response from them attached to my request and it normally takes 4 or 5 days.

Not much to it. If your truck is 25 years old or older you can request a permenant registration. Once this is done, you do not hazve to display your inspection sticker on the windshiield. "Pretsige Vechicles" can legally keep the sticker stapled to the registration in the glove box.
I get pulled over every tow or three years. Just keep a copy of the law with your registration and highlight the area where it says "no plate will be issued". There job is to enforce the law and this is the law so you will be completely legal.
Good luck,
jimm1009

PS: I stand corrected on the new ways in Hoosier Land. I was born and raised there but moved away in 1988 so things have changed some. Good to see you don't need the SF-97 anymore. ALWAYS make a nice color copy for your file anyway. This is legal proof that the government did indeed sell the item.

epitts

Indiana law

Below is the Indiana law

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
IC 9-18-14​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Chapter 14. Military Vehicle Registration​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
IC 9-18-14-1​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
Alternative registration​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Sec. 1. A person who owns a military vehicle may register the
military vehicle under this chapter instead of registering for a license
plate issued for:
(1) a vehicle under IC 9-18-2; or
(2) an antique motor vehicle under IC 9-18-12.​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.​
[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
IC 9-18-14-2​
[/FONT]
Permanent registration​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Sec. 2. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the
military vehicle under this chapter, the registration of the military
vehicle is for the life of the military vehicle.​
IC 9-18-14-3​
[/FONT]
Registration number; no plate issued​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Sec. 3. If a person who owns a military vehicle registers the
military vehicle under this chapter the:
(1) bureau shall not issue a license plate for the military vehicle;
and
(2) bureau shall authorize as a registration number the military
vehicle identification number stenciled on the military vehicle
in white or yellow letters and numbers in accordance with all
pertinent military regulations.​
IC 9-18-14-4​
[/FONT]
Registration form and certificates​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Sec. 4. The bureau shall adopt a:
(1) registration form; and
(2) certificate of registration;
to implement this chapter.​
IC 9-18-14-5​
[/FONT]
Rules​
[/FONT][/FONT]
Sec. 5. The bureau shall adopt rules under IC 4-22-2 to implement
this chapter.​
[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.6.
[/FONT][/FONT]

jimm1009

Eric,

You are close to where I went to college in Vincennes.

Will be going through there in 2nd week of July.
I found that rule too in my search today. Really glad that they have it for you guys up there.

Jim (jimm1009)

aekhoff

I just registered mine today in IL... it was registered as a chevy m1008 and they let me transfer my regular b-truck plates from an f150 i recently parted with.....

No issues so far... now I just need some insurance.