• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Replacement battery

Smokinyoda

Been searching the forum for a replacement set of batteries for my M1009.

From what I have gathered group 31 is a good drop in civi replacement, and group 65 will work with a 1 1/2" spacer.

While at my local wally world the only group 31 I could find was a marine battery. Has a 7 year warranty with 3 year free replacement for $77. Since it is a marine battery I assume it is a deep cycle. Is it OK to use deep cycles, or should I pick up 2 - group 65 auto/truck batteries?

kipman

I use group 31 batteries in my 1009 and deuce, I get them from my interstate dealer, they sell them as seconds, 45.00 each, they work great, not a big fan of the 6tl.

Smokinyoda

Another quick stupid question, if it has 31 in the model number does that mean its a group 31 battery? I think the walmart battery was like 31fd or something similiar. Does the "31" in the number make it a "group 31" battery?

burbn10

Yeah. Interstate seconds work pretty well and are only $45. I found this out after I spent $100 on a Napa commercial truck group 31...

I'd stay away from deep cycles though. They usually lack starting power and cost more because they are deep cycle... The group 31 is mainly for big trucks, tractors, and other commercial vehicles.

The G Man

I am do not have never that luck wih the 3 dueces I bought....Sure aint gonna spend the money on Hawkers for them..I do not have a unlimited checkbook like the government does.LOL:drool:

Smokinyoda

I put group 31's in all my CUCV's. Go to your interstate dealer and get refurbs. They work great.
I called my Interstate dealer, and the do not have blemished 31's, only refurbs. And they only have a 90 day warranty for $47.

Is it worth it to gamble with refurbs when i could spend an extra $30 and get a 7 year warranty?

burbn10

I called my Interstate dealer, and the do not have blemished 31's, only refurbs. And they only have a 90 day warranty for $47.

Is it worth it to gamble with refurbs when i could spend an extra $30 and get a 7 year warranty?
Nothing wrong with refurbs. Interstate rebuilds batteries all the time.

kipman

Does not matter what interstate calls them, my friend is a dealer, has over 75 2.5 and 5 ton trucks, have seen these batteries set for a year a start trucks, it is all we use, you are crazy if you spend more than the 47 each.2cents

Adam1009

so i am needing to replace my battery and i went down to the autozone only to carry the heavy bastard in there so he can look at me like im stupid and say they dont have anything to work and to carry it back out. I read the post about interstate battery and the closest one to me is 200 miles away any suggestions?

cheap is the goal at this point

watkinssr

so i am needing to replace my battery and i went down to the autozone only to carry the heavy bastard in there so he can look at me like im stupid and say they dont have anything to work and to carry it back out. I read the post about interstate battery and the closest one to me is 200 miles away any suggestions?

cheap is the goal at this point
Never trust the counter guy on stuff like this, especially at autozone.

Super Start 31-5 - Commercial Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts
is the one I'm running right now.....er, the two I'm running....well, will be running once I get a bunch of other problems sorted out.

K9Vic

I have the Interstate refurb 31s in all my CUCV trucks, they work great. I get them for $104 for the set and that is with tax. If you do not have an Interstate battery near you, call a local Alternator/Starter repair shop, they may sell the same batteries for about the same price. I actually get mine from a Alternator shop as he sells the same ones that Interstate sells, but I am supporting a local shop and friend. If you can not locate a refurb, then the one listed from O'Rielly is the correct new replacement 31 series. I have used them in the past, but only because I needed it ASAP.

paramilusmc

I have called everyone within about 70 miles and no one has interstate 31's. I only found one place with 31's and i will be heading over there today. Not interstates and they are "seconds" for $78 a piece from American Battery coorporation.

chevymike

I have called everyone within about 70 miles and no one has interstate 31's. I only found one place with 31's and i will be heading over there today. Not interstates and they are "seconds" for $78 a piece from American Battery coorporation.
You know the Interstate battery distributor for San Diego county is just off Miramar road.

9345 Cabot Drive
San Diego, CA 92126-4310
858- 271-5003

I have bought drirectly from them for years.

Last edited:

Amtracker

I'm illiterate when it comes to car batteries and electrical systems in general. So, when I'm calling up my local Interstate distributor, what should I tell him I'm looking for when asking about these so-called 31 refurbs? Or is it as simple as asking that?