• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Replacement battery

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm illiterate when it comes to car batteries and electrical systems in general. So, when I'm calling up my local Interstate distributor, what should I tell him I'm looking for when asking about these so-called 31 refurbs? Or is it as simple as asking that?

Just ask for a Group 31, refurbished or second or blem battery. The refurbished should be a little cheaper than the seconds or blemished.

They come in two types. The posts will be top posts or screw type. The one you want depends on the type of truck and type of battery cables you have.

Stock CUCV cables require the top post batteries.

Deuces and other trucks can use the top post or the screw/nut type. You just have to remove the lug terminals.

Last edited:

Amtracker

I'm looking for batteries for a M1009, so I need the unthreaded top posts. I checked around and found out the following:

• Interstate of Central Va (15422 Pouncey Tract Rd. Rockville, VA) - This is the Richmond, area. No top post 31's in stock. Check back at the end of the week. Hit or miss on when they'll be available. $65 each.
  • Interstate of Northern Va (5121 Hoadly Road, Woodbridge, VA)- lots of top post 31's in stock. $55 each with the old battery.
  • Interstate of Alexandria (7952 Angleton Court, Lorton, VA)- No top post 31's in stock. Doesn't know when they'll get them in. The come in when they come in. $45 each.
  • Interstate of Virginia Beach (5568 Sabre Road Norfolk, VA)- has a few top post 31's in stock. $32.95 each with trade in.

Unfortunately, my local Interstate (Central Va) doesn't have them (and they're the most expensive) and all of these places close with normal business hours and are not open on weekends. No good for me, since I work normal business hours. :neutral: What a PITA

Seems like it might be worth the time to drive down to Norfolk even though it's out of my way since they're the cheapest. It also seems the majority consensus here is that Interstate is the way to go.

rod

Guys,

I hope you have more luck than I in finding the Interstate Group 31s in either Refurbished, 2nds or Blems. I call several local Interstate battery dealers and they said the batteries are just not available around here. One regional dealer told me they had a standing order to get the blems but hadn't seen any in 5 months. Another regional dealer in Birmingham called to see if they could get the blems while I was on the other line. They came back to the line and said that Interstate was discontinuning the blems. I don't know if this is true or not but, since no Interstate refurbs/2nds/blems could be found, I went and bought 2 new batteries from Orielly Auto Parts. The part number is 31-5. 1190 Cranking Amps, 1000 Cold Cranking Amps,

They were more than I would like to have paid, but sometimes you have to just bite the bullet & pay the price to get the M1009 back on the road.

Here is the url of the 2 batteries I bought. - Super Start 31-5 - Commercial Battery | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Last edited:

Buzz

I just got 2 blem 31 series batteries from a guy who restocks our batteries at work, he sold them to me for $20 each plus tax. They worked great, he told me they were new, they just were past there sell by date. When I got them they didnt have any tags on them so I tested them one was 1000 cca the other was over 900.
Here is to inexpensive parts :beer: and good deals (seems like they are getting hard to come by)

rsh4364

If looking for the best battery this one looks pretty good.Braille battery group size 34,lithium ion,1,265 amps at 32 degrees.For a small amount of $999 each.For a group 31 size its $1499 to 2,949.Crazy! Couldn't find any cca on the the group 31 size but I can only imagine the cca,s would go up ! Man that would spin a 6.2 over really well.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Your local farm store probably carries Group 31s at a decent price. I got Exides from Tractor Supply for a C note. Not as good a deal, but a good battery at a decent price.

edpdx

I replaced my 6TLs with the group 31. The first thing I had to do was build new cables for them. Bought the 31 type connecting lugs. Heavy duty welding cable and military red/black shrink tube to dress the connections. They looked sweet, BUT when using a standard nut to tighten down the cables, I soon learned that they will strip on the narrow 31 screw type posts. What is needed here is a longer nut. I bought the ones like they use on all thread to extend the rod- look like turn buckle nuts. They were long enough to saw in half and get two battery terminal nuts out of each. The big advantage is that there is so much thread contact inside these long nuts, that it is very difficult to over-tighten and strip them.

I tried using the group 31 lead post adapters but they came loose too easily.

New cables for the group 31 batteries and these long nuts with star washers- the best fix for group 31.

rsh4364

I also run Optima red tops in my 1009,and mine must have been lemons,the first year they were fine,after that as soon as it got cold out no good.Both alts. were charging good.Im gonna try yellow tops next since I have an optima battery box now,if they don't hold up Im done with Optima.

MarcusOReallyus

On this and other forums I have seen a lot of comments about Optima having hit-or-miss quality since they were bought out a few years ago. That might be why you got "lemons".

reaper556

Which battery to choose

I'm going to put 2 fresh batteries in my 1028 to get rid of the old heavy 6tl's it has. I'm going with interstate as I get a good discount on them as they are a vendor for my company.

I thought about going with the 31p-HMD 950 cca which weighs about 60 pounds but I would like to know if the mtp-78dt at 800 cca 40 lbs each would be satisfactory or even fit properly?

Jozseph

I'm going to put 2 fresh batteries in my 1028 to get rid of the old heavy 6tl's it has. I'm going with interstate as I get a good discount on them as they are a vendor for my company.

I thought about going with the 31p-HMD 950 cca which weighs about 60 pounds but I would like to know if the mtp-78dt at 800 cca 40 lbs each would be satisfactory or even fit properly?
FWIW, I installed a pair of ODYSSEY 31-PC2150T in my 1031.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your battery hold down bracket with you and see if it will work with the battery you want to use. I have group 31's in my M1028A2 and they fit the bracket and are the right height for the hold down bolts.