• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Rims fit

citizensoldier

Playing around a little today after pricing out some STA 9.50/16.5 tires for the M887 and they cost more than the truck did!:shock: Sooooo... Back some time ago I tried some civi rims off my GMC and they would not fit over the Dana 60 rear axle.. The center hole was a light 4 1/2 and the M880 rims are a strong 4 5/8 so it was a no go. Well I was digging in one of my pile of goodies and uncovered a set of BFG 235/75 R16's on CUCV M1008 rims..Funny how you forget stuff once you put it away and it snows a little.. So what the heck they sure would look nice on that M887.. Well I'll be! They slid right over the rear and look pretty darn nice. The narrow offset of the M1008 rim gives the M887 a more narrow stance and will be better for plowing snow. Anyway I thought I would share that.:-D:-D
I would post pictures but my camera froze some time ago and is dead so until the funds grow in the back yard I am picture less.

Crash_AF

Any pre-Superduty Ford truck rims should fit the Dodge just fine. Most GM wheels do have the smaller center hole and won't fit a Ford or Dodge. I'm surprised that the CUCV wheels fit, but it is interesting information to keep filed away.

Later,
Joe

citizensoldier

Yep I knew the ford rims would work. Maybe because the GM corp rear on the M1008,1028 they had to make them a touch bigger than the civi stuff?? I don't know, but they sure look nice and opened the door to a wide range of tire selection. Now a plow set up for the old beast... And maybe a Detroit locker in the rear... and maybe a winch... and how about some power steering?.. Cruise too? Does it ever end? :roll: I might end up the first certified crazy person to be locked up from ODD..:wink:

N1265

I know some guys around here who have taken the Chevy rims and had the hub hole machined out so they could put them on Dodges and Fords.

I wonder if Uncle Sam asked Chevy to make the hub holes bigger on the CUCV rims so they WOULD interchange with the M880s ? after all, they were in service at the same time...

Are they stamped GM ?

citizensoldier

I considered the machining option and would have done it but I had to dismount and mount the tires to have it done. So I opted to not do that. I dont know if they say GM on them or not I will check but they came off a M1008 CUCV..