• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Road Trip and what I learned

stationjj

Today I took my CUCV M1009 on it's first road trip since I purchased the CUCV in May.

We did over 200 miles today. I went to Sewanee, TN from Nashville. This doesn't sound like much, but for me it's a step. I want to take these road trip so I can get used to the vehicle in the way that it operates, and see if any issue come up. I will increase the distance as I go along. As it isn't a daily driver.

It took interstate on the way down, and took secondary roads on way back.

What I learned;

I have to remember I can not go 80 plus MPH down the road. I kept it mostly between 65 and 70. A few times I noticed I was going over 75. She let me know when I was pushing it.

The gas gauge is well you know. HAHA! I am guessing it's a quarter tank off?

I prefer secondary roads to the interstates. Less noise with windows down.

I love my newly refurbished seats!

Issues I need to deal with;

The wait light flickered most of the trip. Suspect electrical connection? The GP system was good no issues.

On return trip Gen 2 light flickered 3-4 times going down the road. Voltage gauge was in the green.

Several times engine wouldn't shut off. I had to pull the wire to IP solenoid to shut it down.

NO mechanical issues. From my list mostly electrical.

Thanks for listening.

stationjj

lindyp38

check condition of both batteries......i know it sounds crazy but my wait light will sometimes do the same thing......and both my alternators are fresh rebuilds....keep driving it.....

Franc Tireur

Great post. Where did you get your refurbished seats? Also, I'll need a new dash/console panel as mine is cracked, and a few other interior cosmetic parts any suggestions where to get them? I just got it registered/insured/inspected, and I'll be painting it in a few weeks. Thanks.

stationjj

My CUCV had 67007 miles at purchase. The speedo died on me shortly after purchase, and was replaced. I currently have 425 miles on new speedo.

Another thing I noticed was that I get a vibration when I speedup between 65 -70 MPH. Then it will settle down. Not sure what this may be?

As for my seat restoration. I covered most that in this recent thread.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/93295-new-seats-cucv.html

I got lucky and found a Civy 83 K5 Blazer in a local Junk yard. Check your local junk yards.
Who know? You might find something?

Pictures below.

Attachments

86k5

I had a similar vibration with mine. I noticed it was rattling against the transmission hump n the cab. Yeah, it was the transfer case. someone had put the bolts and "spacers" n the wrong way. The t case was smashed all up to the cab floor.
I flipped my spacers the other way, which lowers the support brace and t case. And no more vibration. Hope this helps.