• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Snow Plow Trucks and Spreaders

cucvrus

I have few pictures of CUCV"s with snow plows on them. One with a salt spreader. DSCF6118.jpgDSCF6124.jpgDSCF6123.jpgDSCF6122.jpgDSCF6121.jpgDSCF6136.jpgDSCF6134.jpgDSCF6120.jpgDSCF6119.jpgDSCF6128.jpgThese are a few of the CUCV plow trucks. The red truck is a 1986 CUCV M1008. They are all in 100% running order. The Red truck is my daily driver company truck. The salt spreader truck is a 1986 CUCV M1028 It looks like it was made from parts. The frame and all the brackets/cross members on the frame are bolted on. It has no rivets. It has been on duty since 1996 as a plow truck/salt spreader in winter and as a wash tank/ water test truck in summer time. The M1009 is a 1984 and has been on duty with us since 1997. All are stock configuration and were painted to make them for business use. All had new transmissions put in the same winter. It was a bad winter in 2011 and everyone got pounded 24/7 for a few weeks straight. All have Western Plows. No other reason other than we have a local Western dealer at the time. They were all new plows when installed on these CUCV's. It is getting harder to find new plows for these older model trucks. Some of the newer plow company's were not in business when these trucks were built. Thanks for looking. Please feel free to share pictures and stories of your CUCV plow truck/s.

Last edited:

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They ARE great plow trucks. Posted a few pictures. The white one though I missed out on. The others were mine at one time. Currently use an 86 K30 diesel stick dump.

Attachments

cucvrus

I am unable to post any pictures. Sorry. I had a tough day with a lot of CUCV plow truck carnage. I will post them on facebook. I will try again later.

cucvrus

DSCF6183.jpgDSCF6191.jpgDSCF6193.jpgDSCF6190.jpgDSCF6189.jpgDSCF6188.jpgDSCF6187.jpgDSCF6186.jpgDSCF6185.jpgDSCF6196.jpgThis is my Crown of Thorns M1009 it ran fine for several hours and then it just up a quit running. It has fuel and cranks fine. Everything was good and bang it just quit running. Any ideas? It pumps fuel and I did not look to far. I walked away and left it in the field where it quit.

Last edited:

cucvrus

DSCF6202.jpgDSCF6214.jpgDSCF6213.jpgDSCF6208.jpgDSCF6206.jpgDSCF6205.jpgDSCF6204.jpgDSCF6197.jpgDSCF6194.jpgI am not sure what happened. this is my Crown of Thorns M1009. After running it about 6 hours today it just shut off. I did not spend much time diagnosing the problem. It pumps fuel at the filter and runs on starting spray mist. not sure what happened. it will be spending the night in the field I abandoned it after it shut down.

Attachments

cucvrus

DSCF6200.jpgDSCF6201.jpgDSCF6209.jpgDSCF6210.jpgDSCF6212.jpgDSCF6227.jpgToday I met my match. this snow was to heavy and to deep to plow. I loaded 3300 lbs of salt in the bed and had plenty of traction. After about 2 hours of beating the equipment the front driveshaft broke. I was getting stuck on the level. it was a very deep heavy wet snow and very cold and turned to ice under the snow. I could not push any snow with the M1009. Abouit the length of the wheel base and it was done. i put that away and left the M1008 Big Red in a snow pile. i will be out on CUCV recovery tomorrow. Any ides what made my M1009 just shut off? I guess it could be mechanical. I hope not but be that as it may. I can fix it in the spring. I just posted yesterday if it broke today it owed me nothing. But with all the perks and nice things it has I will be forced to fix it. Any ideas?

rsh4364

Once these are running it doesn't take much for them to stay running,still have 12v to inj.pump? On a side note I'm kinda jealous of all your snow,My 86 isn't ready for that yet but still would be kinda fun.Weak lift pump?

cucvrus

New lift pump. A genuine GM one if you remember the horror I had with this truck in the spring at Rausch Creek. I did not have a test light. I dont think there is a fuse for that injection pump is there? Cause my KC daylighters don't work either come to think of it. Maybe a fusible link to the injection pump? I am stumped at this moment. And very tired from all the physical work today. Plowing snow and messing around in deep snow all day can wear an old man down. Is there anything that can cut the 12 volts to the injection pump? i am drawing a blank.

cucvrus

After abandoning 2 in the field today i walked home and got the Mule. It was rudely awoken from a long winters nap. DSCF6216.jpgDSCF6225.jpgDSCF6224.jpgDSCF6223.jpgDSCF6222.jpgDSCF6220.jpgDSCF6218.jpgDSCF6215.jpgDSCF6217.jpgThe Mule worked perfect. I did not get to plow any more snow but I got to drive it about 75 miles around the county and thru the city doing site seeing. A lot of fools on the roads stuck in the ditch. I helped a few and drove by a few also. Everything worked well and the Goodyear MTR's have proven themselves today in the 26" of snow. The snow is still falling outside. That 686 CARC looks like a different color in the snow.

Attachments

rsh4364

I have a fraction of your experience with cucvs,I can't speculate any further without showing my ignorance.I know you like them stock but an in line fuel press.gauge might narrow things down.Once running all we need is fuel and compression.

cucvrus

And electric at the injection pump. I am thinking the switch in the pump shut off and quit working. It shut off very abruptly. It was running full throttle several times today in 4 LO. This snow is heavy and deep. I don't want fuel running into my cab. It is bad enough I have an active oil line on my oil gauge. And if it is under the hood I will only get an accurate fuel pressure reading if the engine is running. It is not running now. So I just open the bleeder and my Son cranked it over. No worry's. if no one has any other ideas. I will figure it out. that is what i always do anyway. I may just put a new injection pump on it. I don't like this one anyway. it has a hard advance knock on acceleration.

tim292stro

Looks like you got it into a garage - does it start now?

It does occur to me from some of hhose pitures that your exhaust pipes are under snow level. That could have had the same effect as a potato shoved in there.

Your description has me thinking "air flow" because you've ruled out fuel flow as a problem.

I'm of course assuming your statement about fuel delivery is the normal high troubleshooting quality I see from you. I am taking for granted that you have checked your IP fuel solenoid wire's votage and listened/fent for the "click" when touching thnt wire to the solenoid terminal...

cucvrus

This was out in howling wind and cold. i could not hear a clink if it was from an empty clip. I will test light the wire in the AM. The snow has stopped and I just got back from a 50 mile drive. The roads are passable now but just the main routes. The secondary and back roads. Risky. And I had enough excitement today. tired and to bed I go. I fear snapping the 10/24 screws out of the pump. If i do off it goes to Diesel Care in Memphis. Thanks for sharing. And Rick I am not offended by your fuel pressure suggestion. I may not do it but I am not offended. i can see 5 lbs of fuel pressure. it squirts when i open the bleeder.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy to say the Jersey Indian performed flawlessly. Last year the truck was a nightmare every time we went to use it for snow plowing but thanks to cucvrus undoing all the botched wiring it has proven itself to be a reliable snow vehicle. These trucks really do push snow nice. Had about 20 inches of snow yesterday and it motored through it without even breathing heavy. IMG_16201.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks