• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV spare tire position with 37" Goodyear

Skinny

I have an M1031 on 37's. I'm looking to see what some have done for a spare tire carrier. I haven't measured the frame rails yet but I doubt it will fit in the stock position. A big hinged carrier out back would be sweet. Could incorporate a ladder and Jerry can mount but only one big question remains. If you mount it up that high, how do you lift a tire wheel assembly that weighs 150+ pounds?

Any ideas or pictures?

richingalveston

My idea on my 1009 is to get a U-haul receiver hitch and add two ams with some cross braces that come out, around the bumper and up to mount the tire to, the tire carier will fold down and act as a step to get in the back in the down position. To lift the tire I was going to get a junk yard wind up winch like on the new vehicles so that i could lower the tire to the ground or winch it up to the carrier, the tire would bolt to the carrier with studs. I was thinking the arms could be mounted at the end of the u haul hitch but the shackles may be in the way.
With out the hitch, you could extend the shackle mounts like people do for the winch in the front. Use the mounts for the fold down carrier. with this set up, you can remove it when you want.
Mine is still in the thinking stage, hopefully when I get the trans and t-case builds finished I will work on the tire carrier along with the rock sliders and under carriage protection. I think it needs two mounting points, the swing arms always end up sagging and just swing out of the way. With this setup you get a built in step to help you into the back of the vehicle.

Cucvnut

I came up with this idea its bolted to my bed side top and i welded a bottom plate to the square tube and the square is welded to a piece of flat iron i cut out with a torch, which is turn is bolted to the rim!

mission cucv.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the swing away spare tire carrier idea. I have 2 thoughts on lifting the tire. A plate with a receiver similar to a reese hitch mounted on the top of the SECM box. Use a small boat winch to lift tire into place. Second is to also make the tire rack fold parallel to the ground and add a spare tire winch to lift the tire to the rack. A shelf to support the weight of the tire might help too since it's so heavy. You could even make up a mini block and tackle using paracord to assist.

readyman

Check out this thread http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?73880-HMMWV-swing-out-tire-carrier-on-M1009
Nates4x4 - Wrangler, CJ Swing-Out Bumper

I had him spread out the latch and swivel to clear the tailgate. My design uses the shackle mounts and uses existing bumper bolts. OEM bumper stays on(so far).
$ is a la carte, bumper, tire mount, jerry can holder, hi-lift mount, shackle mounts, etc.
Around $500 for mine.
He had .99 shipping at the time.
There is a pic. I'm thinking of maybe adding some mil-spec jerry can holders on the left too, make it more HMMWV-like.

richingalveston

the DIY4X is what I was talking about in previous post but instead of a custom bumper I was going to use the U-haul hitch or the shackle mounts. I was also going to put the tire on the outside of the carrier so that it would drop to the ground with a winch and when down, the back side could have a flat plate to use as a step to get up an into my 1009 with the 37's and 5 inch lift.
Thanks for the DIY4X post, at least now I have seen something similar to what I want to build.

Skinny

The HMMWV mount is $700 from what I quickly found on the internet. Way out of price range for just the mount. I do like the folding down mount from DIY4X. I was thinking something like that, of course mine was more traditional with the tire facing out. Almost impossible to mount up in the down position. With the tire facing in, you could roll it on top, fasten it, then pick the mount back up to the truck like in that video. I have a hard time thinking outside the box...most of the time I am trying to get in one!

I can't use the trailer hitch for this as I would like to have a trailer hooked up at any time or my dirtbike in a receiver hitch cradle.

Here is an outside the box thought:

A traditional swing away carrier with jerry can holders and a ladder. This will swing out tradionally away from the body like on a Jeep. Then have a hinged spare tire mount which comes down like in that DIY4X video with the tire facing in so you can just roll it up on top of the carrier.

Tplane37

I think there is a company building those heavy duty bumpers with the swing out carrier. If I remember right, the mount swings out and then down near the ground for mounting/dismounting the spare. I'd look through http://www.stacydavid.com (Gearz TV) for one of the Bronco builds, I think that's the episode I saw it on...but they are probably not cheap, or light! I had to remove a similar style bumper off of an Excursion a few years back (without the tire carrier)... we used the engine hoist to move it because it was all that two of us could do to get it from the frame to the ground.

As for me, I just plan on throwing a Safari rack on the roof of my crew cab (then transfer it to the next body when the time comes for that). I plan to mount a hand winch/hoist at the front of my bed anyway, so I could get the tire up and down from there. But that's a day or two away.

True Knight

Skinny, just measured the frame rail (and almost got bit by a black widow in the process): 27.75" at the narrowest. So no way a 37 will fit unless its hanging down farther than the frame. Its too bad, because I was thinking of building something to mount one up in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks