• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starting issue

nvrescue

Banned
My latest M1009 1985 CUCV as shown seems to have a hard start. The previous owner claimed to have replaced the glow plugs, made good connections to glow plugs and he also replaced solenoid and bypassed original system with a manual push switch (I also did this on other CUCV). I press the glow plug relay and here the solenoid and hold for 30 seconds and crank and crank and crank then a brief fire and then I do it over again. On this particular one, after second pushing of glow plug button if I press gas pedal a couple of times and hold it down it will start then go through its higher idle then after 3-5 minutes drop down to normal idle.

Am I missing anything here, my other CUCV's start easier even with manual glow plug override.

I would love some suggestions or comments.

Attachments

nvrescue

Banned
I will change Air, however it looked new, maybe fuel? Do you happen to know if there is a parts cross reference list or know what part number for Fuel Filter from NAPA or KRAGEN or AC DELCO? We spoke last night huh.....how is it going?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go into the TM's and trouble shoot according to the manual. Are you sure the glowplugs were replaced and are new? Were they tested IAW the manual? Is the push button correctly installed?

nvrescue

Banned
I will re check voltage to glow plugs too. I do hear the solenoid engage with a solid click and hear it release when I let go of button. Also see voltage fluctuate. Only thing with glow plugs now is to verify voltage. I will change for piece of mind Fuel Filter and Air Filter, check water seperator if it has one (I forgot) and give this baby a full fluid change of all components including diffs. If still hard start, I will pull some glow plugs for eval.

nvrescue

Banned
Wow Porky you are following every post and being insultive, I guess you need to do it to feel better, let me reimind you:

• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.