• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starting Problem

kountry

Ok, My truck has trouble starting when below 40 degrees. The wait light comes on and stays on until the relay clicks off.

This morning truck did something weird. I turned the key on and glow plug light would not go out. Waited a minute tried again using manual glow plug switch. This did nothing(could hear relay clicking when I pushed and let off of manual glow plug switch)(Held for over a minute) Tried starting anyway, nothing. Now, turned key off and back on after 30 sec and tried glow plug switch again, this time the light went out and it started. The same thing happened a couple days ago too.

Here is what I have done to the truck so far.

Installed a manual glow plug bypass (Spliced into lt. blue wire off controller card).

Installed a new battery (previous owner had one small battery)

Changed glowplugs (Store did not have 60G in stock, put Autolite 1110 )

Relay is working (can hear click)

I hope this will help figure this problem out. Thank you all in advance!

erniemigi

ok, on my 86 M1009 we had spliced into both light and dark blue wires, we pig tailed the two together to one wire to a relay, then from a relay to a switch, it was 18 degrees yesterday morning and it fired right up, took out the controller card (it was bad anyhow)

Attachments

zang

I had such problems at a Daihatsu Rocky. Even lamp lights glow plugs, but not go further order.
All four glow plugs I tied a sheet between them (the ends, ie plus) and there I connected with a back button (not the one retained), power button, just below the steering wheel. In this way we were sure to warm glow plugs, I wanted to keep them both (depending on temperature), and after I could start to hold them (winter only) 2-3 seconds for the engine "to turn round."
You can make a strong start button and then direct you do not need any relays, and in addition you can use as 'theft' (only you know it - without it the engine can not start).

kountry

Looks like the GP relay only works when it wants. I changed the whole glow plug system over to the 12v taking out the resistors. Still didn't work. Installed a push button bypass, still nothing. I heard clicking from the relay and thought it was working but somthing inside must not be making contact all the time. First, does anyone have a diagram of the 12v resistor bypass to make sure I have it right because I don't want to burn up the new relay when I get one. Next, where can I get a new relay and conroller card?? Thanks Again!!