• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Starts but only runs for about a minute

keonigoo

My CUCV will start and run for about a minute then die. After that it will start then die right away. If it sits overnight it will start and run for a minute again then
just start and die. I already bled the fuel filter, no air. If I open the bleed after trying to start, it seems pressurized and a stream of fuel will bleed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bad ground? Did they reconnect the engine to body ground?

Keith_J

There are three fuel pumps, the cam driven priming pump on the right side of the engine, then the injection pump which has TWO pumps, the vane boosting pump and the twin plunger pump for injection of metered quantities of fuel to each injector.

You most likely have a failing vane pump in the injection pump. The fuel bleed on the filter is just the priming pump.

albersondh

As soon as it dies leave the ign/hot and check for voltage at 54A on top of the ESO, if voltage is good, remove the one-way check-valve from the top of the IP then start it up. It will hunt for idle and leak a bit of fuel from the threaded hole you just pulled the valve from. If it starts right up and runs with the valve removed you have a return fuel restriction. Trace the return fuel line back and eliminate the restriction. Have seen this many times its more common that you would think. If it still dies with the valve removed check for appropriate fuel delivery to the IP from the mechanical pump (TM should define this objectively). If none of this isolates the fault, find the ohm spec on the ESO that 54A goes to and check the resistance when the solenoid is hot. Sometimes the older 6.2 ESO's can have an intermittent fault and work fine until they get warm. Resistance will rise as they get warm and eventually the ESO wont be able to hold the IP metering valve to the fuel-on position.

The check valve at the very top of the ESO cover on the IP is calibrated via spring tension and uses a check ball to create a restriction against fuel that is being returned to the tank from the IP. The pressure that is created by this restriction inside the pump housing controls the fuel advance/retard servo. If this restriction/pressure is too great, the pump advance servo will move the cam ring to the full retard position. This will kill a warm engine. Conversely, the solenoid attached to 569B, is the cold start ESO. When the engine is very cold, it triggers this solenoid, which actually plugs the check valve, and purposely sends the pump to full fuel retard, but only for very cold starts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you, it was the fuel return line being plugged with crud. I blew it out and it runs fine now.
That crud most like was the damper ring. Prepair for it to clog again, and again, and again. Until you blast out the glass bead and allow the engine to run out of time or the ring fails and the pump stops.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks