• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV tires

Westech

CPL
you can install 9x16's or so but why? It would handle like crap and might be really unsafe. NDCC or NDT tires are only rated to 55 MPH and for 2 hours at a time... you could too ez over run that tire and it could fail.

91W350

you can install 9x16's or so but why? It would handle like crap and might be really unsafe. NDCC or NDT tires are only rated to 55 MPH and for 2 hours at a time... you could too ez over run that tire and it could fail.

LOL... They were plenty safe on the M715! Not worth a crap on the ice, hard as rocks to drive on, but they were never threatened to go anywhere near 55 for two hours. You would be dripping some oil... and the transfer case would smell like you poured axle lube on the exhaust manifold. They definitely were not designed for the CUCVs.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well Mr. Westech, respectfully I beg to differ. In 1985 I purchased a new 1-ton single-rear-wheel K-30 GMC to elk hunt in Colorado & Wyoming. After the first hunting trip, I realized I didn't have enough ground clearance, so I installed a 4" lift kit. On the second trip the next year, I realized that the problem was lack of clearance under the axles. So I built a custom set of 20" Firestone split rims and mounted new 11.00/20 NDT on 'em. Had to trim the front fenders a bit, but they fit just fine. I changed the gearing to 5.13 to correct the RPM at highway speeds, and added a Trac-Loc in the dana 60 front chunk. The truck was unstoppable, and I drove it from Atlanta to Wyoming and back every year (and sometimes twice each year) for 10 years straight. The first set of NDT's lasted five years and 125,000 miles, and the second set the same. When I sold the truck in 1995 it had over 250,000 miles, still had its original wash job and was completely worn out. When I headed out on each trip I would set the cruise control on 70 or 75 and the NDT's perfomed flawlessly. On one trip to Montana in 1993 me and my hunting buddie kept the truck moving for 37 hours straight, stopping only for fuel and food. The fact that they were bias-ply had no effect whatsoever, except they would bump a little until they warmed up. I kept the truck properly aligned and maintained proper toe-in and inflation. If there was no cross-wind, I could turn loose of the steering wheel at 75 MPH and it would track perfectly straight. Without a doubt, the best tires I have ever run on a cross-country truck.

Now fast forward to 2011. I am currently rebuilding and restoring a rust-free 1984 M1028 with 12,338 original miles. You can do a search for my rebuild thread on SS "Kinda got carried away...". I have lifted the M1028 5" and, you guessed it, am installing those same custom 20" split rims and brand new 11.00/20 NDT bia-ply tires. I am finishing the truck now and plan to post plenty of photos in my rebuild thread when complete. But to whet your appetite, here's a photo of those wheels & tires from the front -

Attachments

Westech

CPL
Your truck looks good for sure and I like the looks of the NDCC's (not NDT's) I am sure the 11:00 would do better due to the weight rating. A CUCV on a 11:00 is like a match box car on a regular tire. There just no load. I still would not over run a tire like that. I am glad you have had no problems or failures. Tires have Speed ratings and that rating can be extended if the load of the tires is less the max..... But I am not going to do it. Does that mean that it can't be done or people wont do it? No. Its my 2cents. I for one do not want another NDCC to fail on the road. I got lucky with my first one on the steer axle of me deuce on the interstate and the second on my 5 ton on the interstate (both brand new with stickers on them tires). Other members have not been so lucky.

Iceman3005

Super Lugs..........maybe........only there not DOT approved, however the boggers are, and they ride pretty nice too IMO. Only bad thing about boggers is can't talk too any in the vehicle let alone hear yourself think.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks