• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv tow bar $35

cucv1833

Even the store bought REESE BRAND tow bars ive seen are only 5000lb tow capacity and isnt the 1009 like 5200lb curb wt. I used a home made towbar twice and hope to never use it again it was only a few miles but it isnt certified and has no rating. I dont have a pic right now but it has bumper braces and chains go around the bumper connected to turn buckles. i knew its wrong but after reading all this I really wont use it anymore a $80 tow truck bill will be cheaper than losing my rig are worse.

mistaken1

here are some pics of my towbar, works on both of my M1009, not sure about any other CUVC's

if you have access to a welder, all you have to purchase is a hitch from your local trailer shop and two heavy duty pieces of angle. and one set of spare shackles. I had the angle and the shackes so i only had to purchase the 2" ball reciever. going to add some more metal and safety chains to it in the future but so far i have used it for over 600 miles with no issues.
You towed without safety chains?

Matt65

here are some pics of my towbar, works on both of my M1009, not sure about any other CUVC's

if you have access to a welder, all you have to purchase is a hitch from your local trailer shop and two heavy duty pieces of angle. and one set of spare shackles. I had the angle and the shackes so i only had to purchase the 2" ball reciever. going to add some more metal and safety chains to it in the future but so far i have used it for over 600 miles with no issues.
Please take all the feedback constructively.

tm america

It looks better built than the crappy tow bars that reese sells rated at 5000lbs...But i agree the it will fail..those shackles are not made to be welded to ...and there is nothing to stop the welds from fatuging like a cross bar near the shackles...Angle iron will twist and flex under load and will most certainly make the welds fail..if it was braced better and you used weldable material for the peices that pin to the truck you would be good to go..please stop using that tow bar the way it is you might kill some innocent people ..2cents