• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Trailer Wiring

Mr. Chevy

Can you purchase a harness for the trailer wiring that has the male end for a 1985 M1028 (guessing model does not matter) to convert to the standard connector? I would guess the plug from a military trailer? What about wiring diagram? There are more pins on the CUCV then a standard 7 pin connector.

I'd rather not hack into the factory wiring.

Thanks

Nick

mangus580

Your best bet, would be to locate the T system used for civvy trucks. I'm not sure if anyone makes them still for the older trucks or not, but it would leave your originally plug alone. Basically you are putting a T in the middle of a stock factory connection.

Check Hoppy's site for info... they might list it

Ken_86gt

I was able to locate a miltary trailer extension wire on ebay. It had both male and female connections. Cut it a foot or so from the end and connected the needed wires to flat 4 civillian connector. Total cost was probably $35. Now if I ever get a military trailer I can make another adapter with whats left if needed to connect it to a civilian truck.

jw4x4

I bought the "T" system, and it is NOT plug and play like I hoped it would be. I have installed them many times before, but the CUCV wiring is a totally different animal. I, too, am looking for a reasonable remedy. If I can't find anything, I will just have to hack into the taillight wires.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tee system needs to be for a 84 or older truck. The 85s and later use the weatherpack square type connector. I shopped high and low before getting one for my old 84 C-10. that was 15 yrs ago too. A derelict trailer harness is the easiest and least costly way. The adapters at ODI work great but because all the stuff is new, they are not cheap.

ohfisherman

cucv has one solid harness without the t in it. i already tried that with a hoppe adapter. is it possible that anybody would have the wiring diagram for the large round plug on the backside of the truck? going through the same thing with my truck right now...let me know if you figure anything out that works.

mangus580

Actually there are a pair of the weather-pak connectors that the trailer plug connects to in the harness. I suspect if one had the ability to make the plugs.. a T could be done up.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wiring diagram for the mil trailer plug is on Olive Drab web site. You could always figure it out with a test light.

Ken_86gt

I used a test light, when I did mine it seemed like there were errors in the drawing - or maybe I was looking at it backwards. But with a test light you know it will work.

Midnight Rider

cucv has one solid harness without the t in it. i already tried that with a hoppe adapter. is it possible that anybody would have the wiring diagram for the large round plug on the backside of the truck? going through the same thing with my truck right now...let me know if you figure anything out that works.
Actually you're wrong(Unless somehow my 1009 is different then everyone else's). There is a split in the harness on the 1009 (I'm going to assume the 1008, 1028, etc.. are the same). It is located on the driver side rear of the vehicle. It takes the 84 and older style T connector. I went to the local NAPA store and picked one up. You do have to ground it to the frame. I just drilled a hole in the bumper support for that.

I'll post up the NAPA part and pictures of this if necessary.

Ken_86gt

Why would you have to ground it to the frame? There is already a ground wire there. Or is it that the connector you bought missing that connection. Interesting.... I believe that others have said that if you have an '84, the aftermarket trailer connector will work, but not after as the wiring had changed.

Midnight Rider

Why would you have to ground it to the frame? There is already a ground wire there. Or is it that the connector you bought missing that connection. Interesting.... I believe that others have said that if you have an '84, the aftermarket trailer connector will work, but not after as the wiring had changed.
The 85 and later use a square T connector. The 84 and earlier use a circular T connector.

I had to ground it because that is the way the connector came when I bought it. When I pulled the connector on the 1009 apart, there were only 3 connections in it. I'm guessing that is why I had to ground it. I'll try and post up pics of it later when I get home.

I'm thinking I had to do the same thing on my Ford Ranger when I added the trailer wiring to it.

Mr. Chevy

Thanks for all the help. It seems for the 1985, the easiest way is to find the trailer connector and modify that with a short lead to carry the civilian style 7 pin connector.