• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Tran Swap

ZaiWood15

Hey y'all new here to this site, looking for some info.
I'm looking into buying a CUCV as a back up truck, the thing is I've never been a big fan of Auto transmissions and would want to swap for a manual one. So wondering if anyone has done this or knows any of the details about doing such a thing?
Thanks Isaiah

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simple as pie. Get a donor truck, move all parts to CUCV. Oh, welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Nuke113

There are a few good threads on this just search for them, if memory serves the hardest part was cutting the hole in the floor not a bad job from what I've seen.

Skinny

Hey y'all new here to this site, looking for some info.
I'm looking into buying a CUCV as a back up truck, the thing is I've never been a big fan of Auto transmissions and would want to swap for a manual one. So wondering if anyone has done this or knows any of the details about doing such a thing?
Thanks Isaiah
So we may need some more information about what CUCV you have and what you intend to do with it.

An M1009's needs will be drastically different than an M1028 dually, not to mention the difference in axle ratios. Do you plan on running larger tires?

roveroverme

Banned
So we may need some more information about what CUCV you have and what you intend to do with it.

An M1009's needs will be drastically different than an M1028 dually, not to mention the difference in axle ratios. Do you plan on running larger tires?
I am pretty sure NO M1028 in civilian environment is ever going through what a M1028 was built for as far as differences to M1008 or M1009 is concerned.
And I am also sure that a NV4500 or a custom 4x4 T-56 will be able to handle a 6.2L or 6.5L engine. it's just about the funding.
As the saying goes, 'the price for cool ain't cheap.' And goes up exponentially.

gearhead1

I just swapped trans less than a year ago in a 76 canadian army truck frame I went from a sm465/np205 to a nv4500/np205 then to a nv4500/np203/np205w/duel shaft pto this is a pic of my quad sticksquad sticks rotate.jpg

Reactions: D6T

Skinny

I am pretty sure NO M1028 in civilian environment is ever going through what a M1028 was built for as far as differences to M1008 or M1009 is concerned.
And I am also sure that a NV4500 or a custom 4x4 T-56 will be able to handle a 6.2L or 6.5L engine. it's just about the funding.
As the saying goes, 'the price for cool ain't cheap.' And goes up exponentially.
How do you figure? If the goal is highway cruise speed and he owns a non M1009 variant, an SM465 will probably not be a good choice. As a back up truck that is back roads only, maybe the SM465 is the best choice because it came stock making a civilian parts swap pretty cheap. Just trying to get some background info on what he has and what he is looking to accomplish.

Never did I approach this from a strength aspect, the 6.2 isn't exactly going to ruin a T-56, NV4500, or NV5600 trans.

ZaiWood15

Sorry about a slow response, work has been crazy!
Appreciate all the info!
I would like a M1008 some day. But more interested in the M1009 blazer for now. And looking to do a little bit of everything with it, highway and going off road, general purpose basically
Thanks Isaiah

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks