• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Truck requiring a Particulate Filter?

somepriests

According to their own regs, the CA DMV, from what I have read, states that only School Buses and commercial vehicles get the joy of putting the Diesel Particulate Filter on their vehicles. I assume CUCVs are exempt (unless I missed something)?

In addition, I saw a lesser know little provision that said that by 2023, vehicles older than 13 years are prohibited from CA?

Anybody can chime in on this one.

Skinny

First, you can't just "add" a particulate filter. It requires a lot of computer control and electronic injection parts. Second, I'm pretty sure everything as of 2008-2010 depending on what weight class you are in requires a DPF system in place according to the Feds, not just California.

As far as the 2023 thing...I understand you have great weather and cool geography but move out of that state before it turns into its own communist nation :)

blackhueys

i always wondered in california with the smog stuff req could we not just point to the sticker under the hood that says emissions exempt? just wondering?

cpf240

i always wondered in california with the smog stuff req could we not just point to the sticker under the hood that says emissions exempt? just wondering?
Sorry, no. That sticker only exempts it from *Federal* regulations. States, as everyone knows CA does, can make up their own rules. However, the CUCVs are old enough to be exempt from smog checks in CA.

somepriests

Still subject to the smoke test
Here is the link. It actually states:

[h=2]2023[/h]
  • California has passed emissions laws that will, by 2023, prohibit the use of any vehicles that are more than 13-years-old--unless they have equipment to cut nitrogen oxide emissions.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6825170_california-diesel-emissions-law.html

Skinny

A DPF is for particulate matter, NOx emissions are solved by an EGR valve and a standard reduction cat. You could install the EGR valve from an emission equipped 6.2 but your emissions label won't show that which in Cali would probably be a no go.

Either way I don't see how a state could do this. Most changing emission laws do not apply to vehicles already manufactured. I have a feeling an organization such as SEMA will get involved to protect all of the historical vehicles on the road.

THIS IS THE FREAKIN USA...land of the free...remember??? Tax you to death and tell you no driving a Cuck-Vee...don't think so!!!

HoJoPo

I'm pretty sure the 2023 date is for medium duty and heavier commercial trucks (over 14,000 GVW). Light duty trucks are covered under a different statute.

This will likely impact 2 1/2 ton and heavier military vehicles, but not the CUCV. For the heavier trucks, there is still historical registration available.

EDIT: Found it on California Air Resources Board's site, it applies only to heavy duty trucks and busses, they must have 2010 emission compliant engines by 2023.

Last edited:

cpf240

Still subject to the smoke test
The way I'm reading this, from the CA ARB site, this only applies to fleets, not POVs.

Periodic Smoke Inspection Program (PSIP)

• All California-based fleets of two or more heavy-duty diesel vehicles (gross vehicle rating over 6,000 pounds) are required to perform annual smoke and tamper inspections of their fleet vehicles and repair those with excessive smoke. All vehicles that do not pass the test must be repaired and retested.

• Beginning January 2010, diesel vehicles manufactured after1997 with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 14,000 pounds or less are included in the California Smog Check Program. The Smog Check Program requires vehicles to receive a biennial Smog Check. The Smog Check is required for the registration of the vehicle by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or for change of ownership.
      • 1998 and newer diesel powered vehicle garaged in an air quality non-attainment area of the state with a GVWR of 14,000 pounds or less, are NOT subject to the requirements of the PSIP any longer. They ARE subject to biennial smog check inspections.
      • 1998 and newer diesel powered vehicle garaged in an air quality attainment area of the state with a GVWR of 14,000 pounds or less, are NOT subject to biennial smog check inspections but ARE required to have a passing PSIP inspection on a BIENNIAL BASIS.
      • 1997 model year or earlier diesel powered vehicles with a GVWR between 6,000 and 14,000 pounds are still subject to the ANNUAL PSIP inspection and record keeping requirements.
  • Fleet owners are not required to inspect vehicles that are powered by diesel engines until their fourth model year (example: 2000 year engines must have their first test completed in 2004).
  • Smoke inspection and maintenance records must be kept by the fleet for two years.
  • The ARB randomly audits fleets, to examine smoke inspection and maintenance records and may test a representative sample of vehicles.

Blendmaster2002

Somepriests, Ok what you have done is found and linked the diesel regulation for over 14,000lbs GVW before it was fully finalized in an article talking about it. In your last thread on this subject (CUCV emissions restrictions in California: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...s-restrictions-in-California&referrerid=19939 ), I tried to explain the California diesel smog and emissions requirements in my two post’s please read post #6 and post #22. After the regulation was finalized and is current law the official Final Regulation that you are talking about can be found in the link below, But it does not apply to the CUCV’s they are well under the 14,000lbs GVW See post #22 in your other thread. To view the final regulation Click on this link http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm , read that page then toward the top click the regulation button and select the final Regulation order on the following page. In post #22 of your other thread I tried to go over the fact that there is smog checks in California for diesel pickups under 14,000lbs GVW Newer than 1997, your CUCV is 1986 and Exempt, again here is the CA DMV Smog page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm .

For anyone reading this thread with anything over 14,000lbs GVW ( deuces, 5 tons etc.) and would like to know how the laws will affect you, view my thread on that subject and registration etc., California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...out-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=19939

Hope this clears up some of the confusion that the California Air Recourses Board (C.A.R.B), has brought upon us in California.

Last edited:

somepriests

Somepriests, Ok what you have done is found and linked the diesel regulation for over 14,000lbs GVW before it was fully finalized in an article talking about it. In your last thread on this subject (CUCV emissions restrictions in California: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...s-restrictions-in-California&referrerid=19939 ), I tried to explain the California diesel smog and emissions requirements in my two post’s please read post #6 and post #22. After the regulation was finalized and is current law the official Final Regulation that you are talking about can be found in the link below, But it does not apply to the CUCV’s they are well under the 14,000lbs GVW See post #22 in your other thread. To view the final regulation Click on this link http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm , read that page then toward the top click the regulation button and select the final Regulation order on the following page. In post #22 of your other thread I tried to go over the fact that there is smog checks in California for diesel pickups under 14,000lbs GVW Newer than 1997, your CUCV is 1986 and Exempt, again here is the CA DMV Smog page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm .

For anyone reading this thread with anything over 14,000lbs GVW ( deuces, 5 tons etc.) and would like to know how the laws will affect you, view my thread on that subject and registration etc., California Title Registration Diesel Smog Law and GL loadout info for M35 Deuce 5 Ton: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...out-info-for-M35-Deuce-5-Ton&referrerid=19939

Hope this clears up some of the confusion that the California Air Recourses Board (C.A.R.B), has brought upon us in California.
Thank you Blendmaster. I always have my eye on the door of this state, but for the time being, I need to get this straight before I drop some money on a truck like this. Since you are from CA, that helps with a newbie like me. Thanks to everyone for their input.

U1100L

Cali has some weird laws.. What about can't sell an used Motorcycle for out of state even with title.. Forget the specifics..

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks