• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Turn Signal Issue

seniqsurfer

I noticed lately that if my steering wheel was in certain positions sometimes my left blinker would stay on. I move the wheel a bit and it starts blinking again. That was hit and miss. Then it started doing it on the right as well.

Now, if I use either signal the lever well click into place like normal but the lights (don't and rear, both sides) will just stay on. I tried my hazard lights assuming it to be a faulty wire or bulb... nope, my hazards work fine.
I tried to search the site for info but for some reason could only pull up bulb issues.
After 2 hours of digging on here I finally decided to just start a new thread in hopes I could get a couple ideas on where to look and not allot of "use the search function".

Thanks in advance for any help.

seniqsurfer

Hazard fuse and signal fuse are separate, I'm not getting a click from the signal fuse like with the hazard fuse.. a bad fuse would explain why it's not flashing, but they still light up. Wouldn't a bad fuse prevent the signal light from coming on at all?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also it may be time for a new flasher. At least pull it out and swap it with the 4 way to see if it works. Any time I get a new (to me) CUCV I replace the flasher with a heavy duty unit. Also, part of the problem with search is titles that don't reflect the subject of the thread. I'll change yours so that the next guy with signal problems will be able to find it!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is right about titles. The search function is only as good as the titles. As the old computer saying goes: Garbage in, Garbage out.

seniqsurfer

I didn't even realize that when starting the thread, thank you. The hazard and signal flasher should be separate units correct? Round metal "fuses". I'll check that also, but wouldn't a bad flasher prevent the light from even coming on in the first place?

MarcusOReallyus

Round metal "fuses".

They are not fuses.

I'll check that also, but wouldn't a bad flasher prevent the light from even coming on in the first place?

Nope. A bad flasher can result in slow blinking, fast blinking, intermittent blinking, no lights at all, light stuck on, and hives. Well, maybe not hives. :mrgreen:

If your problem changes with the position of the turn signal lever, it's most likely the turn signal switch itself, but the flasher units are cheap and easy to replace, so that's a good place to start.

seniqsurfer

Swapped the hazard relay for the signal relay and I had signals but no hazards. Just a fuse/relay/whatever you want to call that round metal POS plug. Next time I'll check there first.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New heavy duty flasher units have fixed a lot of problems on my 5 cucv's. I change them both when I get a new to me cucv!

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used Wagner #552 Heavy Duty made in USA flashers! They may be hard to find now!
I followed royalflush55's advice and found a place that sells the American made 552 flashers for $2.71 ea. + $8.65 ship and no tax.

I bought 20x so got them a little cheaper...

Link:

On one of my M1008s, the turn signal indicator would light up in the dash, but not blink - the new flasher "fixed" that problem...

So, if you have no turn signals or the steady green light without blinking, replace the "bottom" flasher and that may solve the problem...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks