• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV U joints

l1a1man

Have broken several u joints in my M1009 on the rear shaft where it goes into the Diff. Are they a diffrent size than standard civilian ones?

mikev

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have broken several u joints in my M1009 on the rear shaft where it goes into the Diff. Are they a diffrent size than standard civilian ones?
Can you detail what or why they broke?

I haven't replaced mine (OEM ones with 53K miles) and wonder what breaks them besides no PMCS or hard off-roading...

KsM715

OK let me first say that I do not own a CUCV so I m not familiar with where the slip joint is (on the shaft or on the transfercase). When you break the u-joint, did your shaft come apart at the slip joint (if the SJ is on the shaft) if your shaft comes apart make sure when you reassemble it you get the u-joints in phase with each other (lined up) or you will keep tearing them up.

If this is already being taken care of, disreguard and carry on.

ODdave

Subscribing because i would like to know how the joint failed.

if you are intent on keping the 10 bolt, you can get a rear drive shaft & pinion yoke from a chevy pickup w/ 9.5 14bolt, have the shaft cut down and bolt it all in. This will give you a 1350 joint which is a lil bigger than the 3R joint thats in it.......Just a thought.

Last edited: