• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV under dash starter relay?

Tulsafireman

I used Roscommons directions to convert my M-1009 Blazer back to 12V.

Questions are:

1 - Do I still need the under dash starter relay or can I delete it and hook the ignition start wire to the wire going to the relay on the starter?

2 - If I still need it, can I still use dogheads instuctions on changing the under dash relay to the NAPA relay?

Thanks guys from and FNG!

top_prop

if u did the 12v conversion, then you don't need the starter relay... you can jump the wire that runs to the starter solenoid of your new 12v starter directly to the ignition switch... just like a civitruck is.

you can add a doghead relay if you'd like but it un-necessarily complicates the circuit when the vehicle is 12v only.

ETA: just replaced my 24v starter with a 12v (Roscommon Elec Conv style). I'll pull my dog head relay and post pics here when I get around to it, but right now its running just fine with the doghead relay mod.

ETA: just took the relay out here's your pic... purple to purple white.

Attachments

Last edited:

dstang97

FYI you are not converting it back to 12v it came perfect from the factory 24v. (minus the weak starter relay.)

Anubis8472

FYI you are not converting it back to 12v it came perfect from the factory 24v. (minus the weak starter relay.)

Indeed, I don't understand the desire to convert to full 12v.
Especially since when I had my 78' civvy K-5 it was 'all the rage' to convert them to dual alt/batts for running high power KC's and inverters etc.
I see the 24v availability as a bonus, not a liability.

But to each his own.

What I might be wary of is the ignition itself.
Eliminating that relay, though running only 12v through now, I would imagine is going to be putting more current through that ignition. Being that it is old, and has never run more then the relay, you might want to inspect/clean maybe even just replace the ignition switch if it's not to much of a bother.
But that's just me, maybe just keep it in mind if you have an issue down the road.