• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Virgin--Need help/info on pickup

civiceg6sir

I will be picking up a M1031 at Ft. Meade in MD. I live in Jersey about 170 miles away. I have access to my fathers 4x4 S10 pickup. Can i use a towbar or dolly. Should i rent a bigger truck and use a tow or dolly. Any help will help. Hoping to be able to pickup this CUCV. Any help would be appriciated. Truck runs.

Crash_AF

Do not use a compact pickup to pull a full size truck... you're just asking for a world of hurt.

Get a bigger truck or go see what is wrong with it and try to drive it home.

Later,
Joe

Westech

CPL
yeah dont use a little S10 to tow a CUCV.. First of all you wont be able to stop with that big of a truck pushing that little S10. Your going to want at least a 1/2 ton or some sort. Just rent a U-Haul truck for 20 bucks a day.

ROB L3

I flat tow these trucks all the time with a tow bar.all i can tell you is the bigger truck that you use to tow it the better.and take turns at a low speed your 1031 will spin you out. I have even added weight in the bed of my truck to keep the rear tires planted.use at least a 3/4 ton tow vehicle

civiceg6sir

Enterprise rents new silverados. do you guys think that is good enough. what kind of tow bar will work? will the tow bar that wraps around the front bumper good enough? what about the D rings? thanks again you guys are quick.

civiceg6sir

enterprise rents silverados. do you guys think that will work? also is one of those tow bars that wrap around the front bumper good enough? thanks. you guys are quick by the way thanks.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the UHaul websight and enter the towing and towed truck information. The website will tell you what size of vehicle and trailer you can use.

We rented one and the M1008 will fit, barely (length and weight). You have about 5" from the back of the tire to the end of the trailer. It cost me 55+/- a day. Unless the Silverado is a 3/4HD jobbie, it is not big enough.

BTW, if you fib about the size of the towing vehicle, the UHaul place will not rent you the trailer when you go and pick it up (they want to SEE the vehicle you are using). You might want to rent one of their trucks if you cannot find at least a 3/4ton HD to tow it with. You can get with the local UHaul place and they can set you up.

Good luck and have FUN!!

Last edited:

ROB L3

i use a military tow bar.it attaches on to the tubes that the d rings are mounted on.there is a guy named mike who is selling some of these on this site.you would have to fab up the feet for it or buy them seperate.could be a good investment if your going to buy more of these trucks.now that your gonna have a truck to tow with.

1stDeuce

I flat towed my wranger behind my ZR2 Sonoma, which was a 4500lb truck towing a 3600lb jeep. I had to be careful turning, and stopping quickly was out of the question, with the rear axle going into ABS and the front axle not even close to locking the tires. Forget the S10, you'll die trying.

If you found a tow bar, renting a U-haul truck or van "local" if they still do unlimited mileage is one option. Make sure you toss a bunch of weight in the back if you go that route. Tow-bars are not really the best way to tow something heavy on today's highways... The lack of brakes being the major issue, but some vehicles don't like to be led on a towbar... I think chevy's are OK in that respect, but it's still going to want to push in turns, hence the need for a heavy towing vehicle.

I'll jump in with whoever said to go check it out and drive it home. It'll be a slow trip at 50mph, but you'll get there, and you're gonna have to get used to it some time. That is assuming it starts and drives. Bring tools, a bunch of fluids, two good batteries, a 12v air compressor, and see what you got!!

Good luck!