• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vs K20

Firehound

So, I have a 1987 K20... and a CUCV. The K20 needs an engine, and the CUCV is gutted- no instrument panel, the steering column is damaged and on the floor, the trans/T-case is gone, and the 1ton axles have been swapped with 3/4 tons. (Also, the front/rear bumpers have been removed and are in the bed.) The current plan is to retain the K20 registration (no paperwork on the CUCV!!) since it has a manual transmission already, and the CUCV is already pretty far gone.

Everyone is a fecking expert on the CUCV, and I've heard so much crazy BS. Hoping there's some actual experts here.

I heard a rumor that the CUCV has a "heavier frame" than the CUCV, but a caliper test at the rear frame seems to prove this is false?

If I pull the engine and only the engine, I should be able to swap the glowplugs out for 12V ones and be good to go...

Anybody want a set of CUCV Troop Seats and bows? (They are in pretty rough shape!) Feel free to make me an offer I can't refuse, I'd rather see them go to a good home than rust and rot away (fiberglass seats, but again, kinda rough!)

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am no CUCV expert, but I am super excited about perhaps getting your troop seats for my M1008. I have been trying to find the plans to build my own troop seats. I imagine that if you have the metal components, I can replace the fiberglass with wood slats. Your thoughts? I will send an PM if I can figure out how to do so....

Last edited:

Barrman

I have never taken a micrometer to the frames. But, there is always an online argument it seems about how a 3/4 ton frame is just a hair thicker than a 1/2 ton frame with the 1 ton frame being even thicker yet. Since you have both there together. Look at the frame ends and try to see if they are the same thickness or not.

Skinny

The 1 ton has a taller sectional height near the center like trans crossmember area. The crossmember is pretty much flat. The lighter duty variants have a crossmember that drops down a bit because the frame height isn't as tall.

Yeah I've seen no difference in material thickness.

IMO none of it really matters because they are all C channel and suck. Sure the 1 ton may not crack as easier or flex less when worked hard but I can hear the door latches in my Suburban all click when I give her the beans.

Also every few years GM says the new truck frame has 400% more rigidity then the prior generation. Yet they all still suck so I'm not sure how they are calculating that. Let me know when the bed doesn't hit the cab...

Firehound

I am no CUCV expert, but I am super excited about perhaps getting your troop seats for my M1008. I have been trying to find the plans to build my own troop seats. I imagine that if you have the metal components, I can replace the fiberglass with wood slats. Your thoughts? I will send an PM if I can figure out how to do so....

Attachments

I believe you are thinking about the confusing C6P rpo code. Supposedly some of the civi square bodies from 80 to 87 had slightly thicker frame metal. I've also read that crew cabs have the thickest frame. The more I look into things like this the more confused I am though LOL.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe you are thinking about the confusing C6P rpo code. Supposedly some of the civi square bodies from 80 to 87 had slightly thicker frame metal. I've also read that crew cabs have the thickest frame. The more I look into things like this the more confused I am though LOL.
Found this posted somewhere either on here or another forum a while back. Looks like it’s from the 86 trucks which still applies. It should help explain a lot regarding thicknesses, heights, etc.DDC05C0C-9277-4FC9-8B2D-E091E99576C9.jpeg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

I heard a rumor that the CUCV has a "heavier frame" than the CUCV, but a caliper test at the rear frame seems to prove this is false?
It's false. The CUCV is a standard, production line K30 Chevy with a few military doo-dads bolted on. That's all it is. It's not an uber-super-dooper heavy-duty special battle tough military version.

Even the overload springs on the 1028 are a factory option you could order from any dealer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks