• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV vs TREE

msoumas

Truck is mostly OK, a shallow dent in the hood, a dent in the fender, and some cracking in the windshield where the tree bumped it.

Anyone have any tips for easy junkyard windshield removal?

Attachments

msoumas

truck looks out of place in that neighborhood! good luck on the fixes

It is, most of the neighborhood is more curious about it than anything else. Everyone always wants to know whether it's "really an army truck", where I got it from, etc. I've had one guy complain about me parking it in front of his house, but he was unable to prove that his property extended out into the street. ;)

jimm1009

Pull the zipper out of the seal first and then cut the junk yard seal all the way around with a new razor blade knife.
No reason to save the junker's seal and then you can possible save yours or just use a new seal when you install the glass.
Go real slow and don't try to pry it out with any tools. Use gradual hand pressure only. Now you can go around the inside and gently pull hte seal loose with a small scribe or similar tool. Don't pry against the glass but you can pull it away to help it release the inner side of the glass. A glass cleaner or soapy water can als help as a lube.
You know that a new glass is only about $100 if that is any consilation.
Of course, your home owners insurance will have a deductable to be met so this may not count.
jimm1009

msoumas

Pull the zipper out of the seal first and then cut the junk yard seal all the way around with a new razor blade knife.
No reason to save the junker's seal and then you can possible save yours or just use a new seal when you install the glass.
Go real slow and don't try to pry it out with any tools. Use gradual hand pressure only. Now you can go around the inside and gently pull hte seal loose with a small scribe or similar tool. Don't pry against the glass but you can pull it away to help it release the inner side of the glass. A glass cleaner or soapy water can als help as a lube.
You know that a new glass is only about $100 if that is any consilation.
Of course, your home owners insurance will have a deductable to be met so this may not count.
jimm1009

I know new glass isn't terribly expensive, but I've spent enough on this truck recently without Mother Nature's help! I'll have to see what area junkyards want for a used one, it doesn't sound too hard to pull though.

The area was hit surprisingly hard by the 5 minutes of real storming we got. One of our neighbors the next street over had an entire tree fall over onto his house, it came out at the roots. On my way out to dinner, I helped a guy who got his Grand Cherokee stuck in a flooded road, just drove up behind him and pushed. Meanwhile, there were little economy cars that apparently didn't heed the warning of the Grand Cherokee getting pushed out of the puddle and were about to venture into the depths until I went back through and drove them back out. I wasn't about to push their cars out if they lacked the common sense to not go in there after seeing it swallow a Jeep. :roll:

Last edited:

1stDeuce

I got one for $25 at a u-pull it type yard. I yanked the zipper, sat in the middle of the seat, put my feet on the top of the inside of the windshield, and pushed. It popped right out. Once it was loose, I stood on the hood and lifted it free. :)

Reused the seal that was already in my truck. Then I cracked that windshield four wheeling about a week later and had to do it all again.

Good luck!
C

3dubs

I am sorry. It is all my fault. I was playing in the mud and hit a tree. The truck got a scuff on the bumper and cracked the reflector. The tree got a chunk ripped out of it. There was a chunk of tree in my brush guard. I have been proudly telling people CUCV-1 and trees-0. I guess the trees have stuck back to even the score at 1-1. Sorry!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last windshield I bought for a Chevy truck, cost $36. I asked for a reject/second. I got a new tinted windshield with antenna(the antenna wire has a slight droop in it near the top).

If you have full coverage including glass, there is usually no deductible on glass.

earnie

i have a brand new windsheild and all rubbers for that thing
however being in seattle and you in boston it might get brokeaua
and the shipping might be a pita:x for cost
but id let ya have it as i dont need it

jj

Yeah, what Doghead said, your auto insurance ought to cover that under the comprehensive section of the policy. For many years while working in the construction trades i carried a zero deductible on that part of my policy. I used to get LOTS of broken windshields. Never paid a penny for a replacement for a lot of years.