• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Winch?

m38inmaine

They are not listed in the TM, and have never seen one. As far as I know the only factory mounted winch in cuurent times on a light vehicle was the hummer.

Tnrobocop

There is a M1009 with a front mounted winch at the Smyrna National Guard Training Center here just south of Nashville.

I saw it a few times and next time we go to the range I will snap some pics of it.

bombtech

CUCV winch NOT

The Army never had any official or authorized winch installation on CUCV's. However some time in 1987 thru 1990 the 38th EOD (Bomb disposal) at Ft Stewart GA, had Warn electric winches on all of their CUCV's. It was a necessary piece of kit for range operations. Other units may have done the same but these were the only ones I ever saw while on AD. About the time of operation Desert Shield the winches came off due to electrical interface issues. If you own (or ever worked on) a CUCV you know the electrics can be a problem. This was about the end of CUCV's for EOD. DS proved they could not keep up with the tactical units and we went to HMMWV's.

oldmechanic

I have a factory made bumper with a 20,000 # ramsey pto winch mounted on it that will bolt
right on a cucv that I will make some one a good deal on also have a couple of 12,000 # ramsey
electric winches I would sell or trade
OM

joeypushjr1

well what im going to do either later this winter or early spring .. is im going to mount a hitch between the frame right behind the front bumper and make a flap in the bumper to concele the hitch and get one of those hitch mount 10,000lbs winches..

airmech3839

anyone have a particular hitch set up that bolts up under the rear bumper....what kinda bol/weld up job have people done for the front bumper...I like the flap idea...or a carry thru 2" reciver.... anyone have pics of their setup???

pigfoot63

I made mine, I fabbed a a receiver hitch on front that is behind the bumper. The winch is mounted in a cradle. I used nato cable ends on my winch now I can run front or rear or on my other trucks which have the same mounts.

91W350

We fabbed this front winch mount, had it to do over, I would use the new fabric cable and a standard fairlead instead of cable and the roller fairlead. That would let the fairlead be flush with the bumper. It was very nice to have, but I found I used the rear one ten times as often. Glen

Attachments

91W350

On the rear I used a bracket for the license plate. Removed the pintle hitch and ran the cable through the bumper behind the license plate. A spring between the cable eye and license plate held the plate on. It was really clean, super handy and I wish I had it back! Glen

Attachments

gsparks

I have a factory made bumper with a 20,000 # ramsey pto winch mounted on it that will bolt
right on a cucv that I will make some one a good deal on also have a couple of 12,000 # ramsey
electric winches I would sell or trade
OM
Im interested in the cucv winch. What are you asking for it, and how much?

CycleJay

Hi guys,

I have some questions..

In all these winch install photos, I see the same 9500 lbs winch..
But what make, model, brand name, etc.. is it?

Where would I find it?

And what would be the current price on it be?

Thank you, good day...

Merry Christmas... (Remember, Jesus is the reason for the season..)

CJ

DrJekl

I guess I'm different. Installed a Warn 18K winch in mine.

I ran accross a photo of the M1028 dually I had at JCSE at MacDill AFB, FL (Tampa). It had a winch on the front of it. Darned if I remember that but I also forgot that my truck was a dually too.

spicergear

Holy crap joeypushjr... total thread hi-jack but you didn't try to put the engine back in with the converter on the flywheel like in your avatar right? That would take all the patience in the world.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks