• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV with 6" lift towing military trailers

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just an information post to tell how a CUCV with a 6" lift and HMMWV tires will match up with M101, M1101 and M105A2 trailers. Hopefully, this will help your decision making if you are considering a lift to use HMMWV or similar size tires and want to tow a military trailer. I bought the truck with the 6" lift already installed, but no fender trimming required to run the HMMWV tires.

First photo is with a M1101/M1102 trailer. The trailer landing leg crank has plenty of travel to match the truck hitch height, and should also be fine with a CUCV with a 4" lift. The trailer is only slightly tilted to the rear, and with a 4" lift, it should travel almost level. This trailer tracked great and stopped fine during a 16 hour round trip in April. The fuel mileage dropped about 25% while traveling 55-60 mph. The top of the trailer stuck up about a foot above the M1031 box, which increased wind resistance.

IMG_1580.jpg

Second photos are with M105A2 trailers. The landing gear worked as designed, and when hooked up traveled level with the truck. I'm not sure the landing leg can crank low enough to match a CUCV with a 4" lift, but it will be very close. I've hauled empty or lightly loaded M105A2 trailers with 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton pickup trucks with no issues, so I would expect the same results with this 5/4 ton truck (except for the acceleration), although I have not been on the road with a M105A2 trailer yet.

IMG_1581.jpg IMG_1539.jpg

The last photos are with a M101A2/M101A3 trailer with HMMWV tires. I don't think there will be much difference with the M101A1 and M101A2 trailers with issued tires since the pintle hitch height will be the same. I also believe the results will be similar with a CUCV with a 4" lift and HMMWV tires. Photos show the trailer hooked up, the original landing leg next to 6x6 and 4x6 blocks of wood, and an adjustable trailer crank leg (I think Bulldog brand) from tractor supply. The crank leg is attached to the tongue frame with 2 U-bolts, and swivels back out of the way for travel. This trailer traveled very nice to the LA rally in April, and is easy to unhitch and hitch as long as you have the wood blocks. Once unhitched, I just lowered the trailer to make it level to sleep in it.

IMG_1582.jpg IMG_1584.jpg IMG_1587.jpg

Hope someone finds this useful!

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled that big green steel box M105A2 on a 230 mi round trip last month to Goldeneagle's place to deliver a pallet of ammo cans in exchange for some repairs done on the trailer steel box door. It traveled well and level down back roads and interstate highways, but I could tell the truck worked harder pulling it than the M101a2 and M1101 trailers.

wcuhillbilly

I pulled that big green steel box M105A2 on a 230 mi round trip last month to Goldeneagle's place to deliver a pallet of ammo cans in exchange for some repairs done on the trailer steel box door. It traveled well and level down back roads and interstate highways,but I could tell the truck worked harder pulling it than the M101a2 and M1101 trailers.
Time for a 6bt Cummins [thumbzup] Made the switch along time ago in mine, when I brought home my M105 I stopped off and filled it above the sides with rock. hardly even knew it was back there except for the severe angle of the tongue to my rear hitch...(im only lifted 3" to clear the Cummins olipan on the front diff)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks