• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV wont start, got clicking sound then fuses blow-PLEASE HELP

lizzy13

i am a first time owner to a 85 M1009 CUCV and i am a new member to the SS site. Please be patience with me for i am still trying to figure out how to use this site. i need help and advice on how to get my truck back on the road. if i am in the wrong place or posting things wrong, I'm sorry. please advise and i'll re-post where need be............

here is where i'm at.........

got my M1009, everything GREAT and running GOOD!!! i LOVE my new truck!!!! drove for three weeks............went to leave for work, no start!!! NOTHING happened!!!

I mean NOTHING!!! :? so, batteries is where i start.....and here is what i have done so far and where i'm at now.......

replaced ALL 4 battery cable ends.........nothing

replaced the 24V starter (tested and was bad) with a new 24V starter........nothing

replaced the starter relay under the dash..........now i have a clicking sound for a couple seconds then i start blowing fuses

i blow the 30 fuse by the back battery first, replace it........try to start again, then the 30 fuse over by the solonoid on the firewall blows......this keeps going back and forth till i give up for the day

a friend has helped me wire brush/sand down ALL (i think we got them all) grounds......

thought maybe the solonoid on the firewall was bad so we took it off......(can they be tested???) then put it back on...........

BUT there is a blue wire that wasn't hooked to anything before and still isn't that is bugging me.......i just dont know what it is or what it goes to :?

this is where i have been for 5 weeks now............

this truck NEEDS to be my daily driver and i miss driving it......

i have spent hours reading threads and post on here trying to learn something from everyone........... trying to get my answers before i posted a new tread.......... i'm still lost!!!

being new to the CUCV world some of the parts and talk is confusing to me but i am willing to learn............

i am gonna try to figure out how to post my pictures to this tread.....or n the next one.....lol

Again remember i'm new here.....but am willing to learn!!!

Thank You, Liz O.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Since you say that the starter was bad and you changed it, double check to make sure you didn't hook up the wires on your starter incorrectly.

The solenoid in your hand is the glow plug relay.

Last edited:

dependable

Solenoid is part of glow plug system. Lots of info already posted in previous theads. The fuses at the power buses are not stock, probably go to aftermarket lights or such. They may be a red herring, follow the fused wires and make sure they are not grounding out. Those starter relays are junk nowdays. Replace with relay outlined in Doghead.s starter relay thread on this forum. To bypass relay for starter test , take out relay, Jump the red and purple wires at far ends on plug with heavy wire. Relay can click and still be bad.

lizzy13

have double checked wires on starter more than once..........

so it is a solonoid..........at least i was right on the name LOL

can u tell me for sure how the wires hook up to it..........i didnt take it off

i know the RED goes on top and the double ORANGE on the bottom.......as i hold it in my hand

lizzy13

dependable,
"red herring" (dont understand)???????? i dont have ANY aftermarket lights or such

i just seen the thread for DOGHEAD'S starter relay for the first time tonight......will try that.

BUT i did read in a different thread about the bypass of the starter relay.......i tryed that too. i still get a clicking noise and blown fuses........

Blood_of_Tyrants

The schematic appears to have the large red and small orange on one side of the large terminals and big orange on opposite side.

The pink wire is the power for the relay and the lt blue is the other side (small terminals).

It sounds like you have a shorted wire somewhere. Download the manual and look at the schematic and start looking.

taildragger03

Searching the posts is a good start, but have you ventured into the Technical Manuals for the CUCV's? Within the Technical Manuals (TM's) you will have to look at the Electrical Diagrams and Schematics. These can be found in Appendix F of publication TM9-2320-289-20. It's a pdf file.
Now to find this, go up to "Search" and do a Wiki search of "CUCV Technical Manuals". There will be a couple of posts. Read through the posts. One will have the TM's along with specific paragraphs pertaining to faq's, specifications etc. There is a lot of information and many here are here to help. We all were new here at one time, but all are here to help.

lizzy13

dependable,
THANK YOU so much for explaining.......i'm sooooo lost right now and have been for weeks. any help or explaining right now is a huge help to me.....can u think of something i'm missing to check???? besides every single square inch of every wire on my truck..........LOL

P.S. am i doing my thread right and am i making any sense??????? THANKS again for the advice!!!!

lizzy13

taildragger03,
will try to find the TM's now........thank you!!! any and all advice is needed badly and is greatly takin..........and YES there is ALOT of info here on SS...........i'm lost at where to start but glad you all are here!!!!

Crash_AF

Welcome to the site.

First off, fuses do not equal fusible links. Fuses are a good temporary solution, but they aren't designed to take any overload at all while a fusible link can take a very short term overcurrent situation without popping.

The blue/red wire is for the fuel burning heater fuel pump. Not used in your application so don't worry about it.

What is the original color of the wires that the fuse holders are attached to?

For your glow plug relay, hook it up with the big red wire to the upper big terminal and the two big orange wires and the small orange wire to the lower big terminal. Hook the light blue wire to the small upper terminal and the pink/black wire to the lower small terminal.

Later,
Joe

Last edited:

lizzy13

Crash_AF...... Joe

thanks for the info about the blue/red wire.......... one worry.... SOLVED!!!! yeehaw :-D

will get glow plug relay hooked back up.......[thumbzup]

both of the yellow 30 "fuse holders" connent with a "black thing" to a RED wire........

and i dont know what a fusible link is...........so that part confusses me.........sorry, your dealing with a female here...........LOL but i'm not scared to learn or of getting greasy

Liz

taildragger03

An electrical fusible link is a type of electrical fuse that is constructed simply with a short piece of wire typically smaller than the wire that is being protected. They simply replace fuses in a circuit. You probably have already had your hands on one. Here are a couple of pictures. The black and white gives your and idea of how they work. The orange wire in the other is a fusible link. Notice the black cylinders of rubber at one end. That identifies fusible links. You should have several on wires that connect to the relay for the glow plugs. It would be a good idea to "feel them". If one is shorted or burned out, it should break apart easily. Like an old rubber band.

Attachments

taildragger03

By the way, you have a couple of fusible links visible in your pictures. Look for the wires with the black rubber cylinders with eye hole fasteners. You can't miss them.

lindyp38

im new to cucv's as well.....one thing i will say....is do ur searches here.....as i got answers to all my questions.........i did the starter relay modification ....and did replace the original glow plug relay......those items are available from napa........parts numbers here on site....

good luck........

Blood_of_Tyrants

Look in the Resources section at the top of the page for Technical Manuals. There are several pages so you will have to page through them to find the CUCV manuals. The schematics are in the -20 manual way in the back.

Crash_AF

A fusible link is as taildragger says, a smaller gauge wire in line with a larger gauge wire. The smaller piece of wire will burn out before the larger wire will, therefore saving the rest of the circuit.

Because it's a piece of wire, not a thin strip of metal like a fuse, it doesn't melt quickly so if there's a rush of current from an overload but the amperage drops down quickly, it won't melt and the circuit won't break. Since you have to cut them out and solder a new fusible link in to replace it, typically people will install a temporary fuse holder to make testing the circuit to find the problem easier before replacing the fusible link.

The TMs you are looking for are 9-2320-289-##. The ## is the series of TM which are as follows:
-10 Operator's Manual
-20 Unit Maintenance Manual
-20P Unit Parts Manual
-34 General Support Maintenance Manual
-34P General Support Parts Manual

These are available by clicking on the Resources tab above and selecting Technical Manuals. They are in alphanumeric order, so I think the CUCV manuals are on page 9.

Don't worry about being a female... my fiance helps me with my CUCVs all the time. (although I still haven't broken her of her technical vocabulary of 'Thingy') :)

Back to your problem... Where does the red wire go that the fuse holder is connected to connect to on the other end? The first picture has a fuse holder coming off the 24V block... what is that wire powering because there's not a lot of 24V accessories on the truck that would have a small wire like that. I'll bet it goes to the 24V alternator (passenger's side). Check around the back of the alternator and make sure it didn't move and short one of the wires on the back.

Later,
Joe

Last edited: