• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv wont start sometimes

D10

hey yall ive been having a problem with my m1009 for a while now sometimes when i go to start it it will not start you can hear a click . if i hit the crankshaft with a breaker and socket and move it a little then it will start. i dont have any idea why maybe some of you on here would have some insight. ive already done the doghead relay thanks in advance

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you need to remove the starter and check its condition. You also need to check the flywheel for damage to the teeth.

D10

thanks for the reply. the starter is fairly new and I have already had it checked out, same for the flywheel it has been replaced

sierrajcharlie

My 1986 09 does the same thing. I've had the unit for about three years and it's done it since day one. I've done searches on here but haven't found anybody with the same problem. In a sick way I'm happy to see somebody else has this issue. I've checked the flywheel, (teeth all there, bolts tight) made sure the batteries are fully charged, have replaced the starter, done the doghead conversion, nothing has helped. It does it, no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes you hit the key and it will click, hit it again and it will start. If on the second attempt if it doesn't engage it's time to break out the bar. Roll the motor just a 1/8 of a turn you can hear, what I think is the starter, retracting. Get back in, hit the key and it will engage. The only thing I haven't tried is to replace the starter wire, just because it is the last thing I can think of. Also, when I took the old starter in it was to a buddy who a shop for years. He looked it over and said it looked like it had a low voltage problem in the past and was not repairable. So I just bought a new starter from him and thought my problem was over. Thought anyways.

I've studied the schematics and haven't seen this but is there a crank positioning sensor in some of the units? If somebody can offer a fix I would be most appreciative.

Last edited:

D10

arrrghhh so I am not the only one with this problem! it sucks because I never know when it will happen and I dont want the wife to use it because of this

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may need to shim the starter if the bendix is sticking in the engaged position.

sierrajcharlie

I'm in the same place. I let one of my boys use it one night. I got a call to tell me it was dead. I hadn't told him about the issue and he ended up killing the front battery. So we crawled under her, rolled it an 1/8 turn and heard the starter click back. Hooked up the jumper cables to the front battery, let it charge for a few minutes and she popped right off. One other thing I've learned, NEVER EVER EVER park anywhere but in a clean dry area!!!!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing here, but bassed on another CUCV starter thread, it sounds like
you need to check the clearances and possibly add a shim. It would appear that the
starter is stuck in a way that wont allow the solenoid to operate properly.

Hasdrubal

I dont think a click when turning the key has anything to do with the starter needing to be shimmed. It will try to engage every time and chew the flexplate teeth when its out of alignment. If the batteries are confirmed good, then I would look to the wiring connections to the solenoid, and maybe the solenoid itself.

cpf240

The thing I would try is to measure the voltage on the two terminals of the solenoid on the starter when this is happening.. have Soldier B turn the key to the crank position while Soldier A takes the measurements. Then you will know pretty certainly if it is a starter problem, or somewhere else in the wiring, relay or switch.

nyoffroad

To me it sounds like a starter drive clearance problem and the drive itself is not retracting from the last time it was started and the over running clutch on the drive is takeing all the abuse for now. You really need to check the clearence or your going to ruin the starter REAL quick!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That Is what I was guessing but didn't know the specifics. If the starter isn't turning
and you have voltage at the solenoid, then the solenoid probably isn't closing it's contacts.
I wouldn't think it had any thing to do with the IP if the starter isn't turning the flywheel.

sapper21

Hey gang, this is what I found out when you turn the key and get a click. On my 1985 Cucv I put a new gear reduction starter on, did the dog head relay mod, new gp regulator and everything was great for a week or so. Then I got a new bracket for the back of the starter. That's when the problem started. By putting on the rear bracket it caused my starter to angle a bit causing the teeth on the starter to not match the flywheel. Remove the spacer and good to go.. So If you get that click sound when you turn the key, the starter my be hung up like mine was.

stampy

I was going to say it sounds like the starter is misaligned and when you spin the crank it meshes enough to get it to start. It would show up as intermittent due to heating and cooling and the condition of the teeth of both.

I too had the same issue on my 09. I ended up replacing the starter solenoid, starter and while at it a few other non related parts. No problem since. I used the gear reduction starter off the Internet and have had a completely reliable truck for almost two years now. I didn't put on the new starter bracket yet though, still sitting in the center console I got out if an old suburban.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks