• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv won't start

blindowner

Hey there,
I came into possession of my cucv about a year ago. It did not run at the time of purchase and still does not run, so anything is possible. The truck turns over slowly making a grinding noise all the while until it locks on the flywheel. The voltage at the starter is 12.4 volts, while it cranks the voltage is just above 9 volts. I also noticed the "battery booster resistor" wire is cut. I am afraid thats all I know. Oh! One more thing, detail's please. Thanks.

Westech

CPL
battery booster resistor... what is that? you mean on the fire wall behind the air filter? thats for the glow plugs... sounds like your truck was converted to 12 Volts. The grinding is not good. fix that.. starter or fly wheel but fix it. Other then that get a repair manual or look at the TM's found on this site. Good luck my friend if that truck was converted to 12V. Your in for a real treat.

blindowner

Hi there again,
What you said about the "battery booster resister" got me thinking. So I checked
the wiring harness and came to the conclusion that it was ruined, for example, the glow plug relay is gone as are all but two of the wires and many other wires are unaccounted for. But I'll start with the glow plug relay, I need to know where
all the wires come from or go to. I will need more info on the wiring harness later.
As always ,details please, and thank you.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The best way to get "details" is to go to the "Resources" section and find the appropriate TM and review it. Most folks on here are very helpful as long as you appear to be trying to help yourself. Just asking will invariably get you the response "Check the TMs."

blindowner

Hey there,
I seem to hear a lot about "the tm's" and to go to the resources page. Is that the link at the top of the page? I click on that and the page reloads with more features but no tm's are listed. Maybe I am just plain stupid, but I still could use some help.
As always, details please, and thank you.

Crash_AF

I guess the first thing would be to ask you for details please.
Is this a pickup, Blazer or ambulance?
Does it still have two alternators or just one?
Where did you get the truck from? Straight from the military, a fire department, a city auction, private owner, etc?
If you can measure voltage, what is the voltage reading at the big terminal block on the firewall behind the batteries. is it 12V or 24V?
What order are your battery cables hooked up in, starting from the negative at the front of the truck?
We need to know what the entire problem is before we can start helping you. Just an FYI, the truck will not start without the glow plug system. But let's get it cranking first.

Later,
Joe

Ken_86gt

Hey there,
I seem to hear a lot about "the tm's" and to go to the resources page. Is that the link at the top of the page? I click on that and the page reloads with more features but no tm's are listed. Maybe I am just plain stupid, but I still could use some help.
As always, details please, and thank you.
If you click on the "Resources" you should see the navigation to the TMs, it does not reload.

Attachments

blindowner

Hey there,
I will answer your quetions now , but always ask if you need too.

Q: "Is this a pickup, Blazer or ambulance?"
A: It is a m1008 pickup.

Q: "Does it still have two alternators or just one?"
A: it has one alternator.

Q: "Where did you get the truck from? Straight from the military, a fire department, a city auction, private owner, etc?"
A: A fire department in Perry, Florida.

Q: "If you can measure voltage, what is the voltage reading at the big terminal block on the firewall behind the batteries. is it 12V or 24V?'
A: The voltage is 12.4 volts.

Q: "What order are your battery cables hooked up in, starting from the negative at the front of the truck?"
A:They are in concordance to tm9-2320-289-34p in figure 57 on page 141.

FYI, the truck cranks but does not start, and I would like a 24 volt system.

About the technical manuals link under resoures, I simply can't find it, maybe my browser dosen't support it. As such, I would like the web address.
As always, details please, and thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look around and get familiar with the website. The top menu bar has many drop-downs, that will get you to other information(TM's). When you click on the Forums, you can go directly to the CUCV Forum. At the top of the CUCV forum page, there is a WIKI, read it, it has direct links to all the cucv, TM's(tech manuals). In the back pages of the tm ending with -20 and the one ending with -34, you will find the wiring schematics(broken down by systems).

Here is a direct link to the wiki. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showwiki.php?title=wiki:Cucv

These links are in the wiki,

Technical Manuals
LO 9-2320-289-12 is the Lubrication Order
TM 9-2320-289-10 is the Operator's Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20 is the Unit Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-20P is the Unit Parts Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34 is the Intermediate Maintenance Manual
TM 9-2320-289-34P is the Intermediate Parts Manual

Last edited:

Crash_AF

Ok, I'm going to assume that the Fire Department changed to a 12V system which means that the starter has been swapped to a 12V one. To hook up the batteries properly for a 12V system instead of a 24V system, do the following:

1) With no cables attached to the batteries make an interconnection cable that goes from the front battery positive to the rear battery positive and then from the rear battery positive to the top of the big junction block on the firewall. Make sure the 8 gauge wire that runs to the small junction block above the master cylinder is attached to this cable.

2) Connect the rear battery negative to the bottom of the big junction block on the firewall

3) Connect the front battery negative to the frame.

That should get you 12V to all systems.

To change back to the stock 24V system, you will need:
The missing alternator replaced and connected properly
The starter replaced with a 24V one
The glow plug resistors (which is actually listed as Battery Booster Resistor in the -34P for some reason) hooked back up

Then you hook the batteries up like this:

1) With nothing hooked up, connect the rear battery positive to the top of the big junction block on the firewall

2) Make an interconnection cable that goes from the rear battery negative to the front battery positive. The 8GA wire that runs to the small junction block above the master cylinder attaches here.

3) Connect the front battery negative to the frame.

This will give you 24V to the big junction block on the firewall and 12V to the small junction block above the master cylinder.

You said that the engine cranks slowly and then stops, correct? You can try to hit it with 24V and see if they just scavanged one alternator before releasing it, leaving a 24V starter, and see if that makes a difference. If not, you will need a 24V starter to go back to 24V.

On the Alternator issue, is the mounting hardware and wiring still present for the missing alternator? If so, you can order the correct one from OD Iron and then bolt it on. If not, please describe the condition of the wiring leading to the missing alternator (cut off, taped up to the harness, etc)

The missing Glow Plug Relay (GPR) can be replaced with a GPR from a 1996 Ford F350 with a Powerstroke Diesel. Bolt it to the firewall beside the master cylinder and hook up the wiring as follows:

1) Connect the 8GA wire from the GP resistor to one of the large terminals on the GPR, the other side of the GP Resistors should go to the big terminal block on the firewall. If the system is 12V, not 24V, connect this wire to the small terminal block next to the master cylinder instead of to the GP Resistor.

2) Connect the wiring from the glow plugs (should be two sets of 4 green wires connected together with a larger orange wire and a large ring terminal) to the other large terminal

3) Connect the small orange wire with a large ring terminal to the same large terminal as the glow plugs (Important step)

4) Connect the light blue and the pink wires to the two small terminals. Doesn't matter which is which.

If everything is hooked up properly, the Wait light should come on when the key is on and you should hear the clunk of the relay as the light comes on and goes off.

Let us know how it goes.

Later,
Joe

Last edited: