• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv wrecker

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi everyone. I'm a new member. This is my first post. I purchased a M1028 CUCV Wrecker last year. It was an army truck and last used in the late 90's. It seems, from the paperwork I have, that the army pulled off the communications box and installed a used Holmes 440 wrecker bed. They installed a HMMWV 24v electric winch since this M1028 has the np208, no way to hook up a PTO and run the hydraulic winch the Holmes originally came with. Just thought I would share my ride and see if anyone has ever seen another CUCV Wrecker from the DOD.1338029_6002_161_0001.jpg1338029_6002_160_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man, don't let kenny see that...
Too late! Somewhere in my archives, I have a pic of a truck like that while still in service. Humbly guessing it was the same as it wasn't done on a regular basis. Looks like a neat truck. I'm betting it's over width or darned close with the wheel spacers in the back.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's 102" wide. Right at the legal limit. That would be pretty cool if you had some pictures of it in service.

dmetalmiki

On the bases over here, we had 'mini wreckers' like that, I seem to remember they were the Dodge model. (318 engine).
The crane hoists were electrically operated.

Guyfang

Staff member
Too late! Somewhere in my archives, I have a pic of a truck like that while still in service. Humbly guessing it was the same as it wasn't done on a regular basis. Looks like a neat truck. I'm betting it's over width or darned close with the wheel spacers in the back.
This I got to see. I never saw anything like this in over 20 years active. Please look, cause I just cant beleveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give me a few days. My hundred year old laptop struggles to operate my 1TB external hard drive with nearly a TB of pics to sort through. I'll work on it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut my teeth on an old holmes like that than graduated to a hydraulic century. now days you really cant tow any thing with a sling you need a wheel lift, but back in the day I was quick with a sling.
Wheel lifts are getting to be a thing of the past almost everything goes on rollbacks now days.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be using it for offroad recovery only.... besides being my daily driver to the ranges and training areas on base for work.

Last edited:

Keith_J

You can pull that door ding out with a suction cup. Wipe some molasses on it to get good seal, then lift it right out. Or push it from the inside.

fasttruck

No pics unfortunately, but in RVN the MPs had a 3/4 ton Dodge wrecker as they only towed jeeps. Do not know, but would speculate the Army bought a bare chassis and had someone install the wrecker body (a Holmes I think) on it. This was the only one I saw.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cut my teeth on an old holmes like that than graduated to a hydraulic century. now days you really cant tow any thing with a sling you need a wheel lift, but back in the day I was quick with a sling.
In the day, a sling truck could tow about anything as long as you had a length of 4x4.

This will be a great recovery truck as well as a yard Truck. The telescopic boom is great for pulling engines. For small sling trucks, I favored a 480. Split booms slung to the sides gave you some incredible recovery possibilities. I'd take any 4wd wrecker.

Last edited:

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it was a bare chassis. I think it started life as an M1028A3 Shelter Carrier. Then sometime in the late 80s (the truck is a 1985) a used Holmes 440 was installed. I think it was used based on the condition of the yellow paint underneath the green. I think this happened at Ft Hood, TX.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased a Holmes Prostar wheel lift for $1000. I'll mount it in the future so I can tow the newer stuff. I will be able to use it to stabilize the rear of the truck when winching in the field.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks