• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV2/CUCV-II Owners, post pics and info of your truck

Another Ahab

A long over due update. She has been sitting at a friend's body shop for nearly a year waiting for some love. The body work almost passes for urban camo. Ha!
She will look mighty fine when she's all "dressed up", for sure (because she looks great now)!

But I kind of like that current "Farm Use Only" look, I got to tell you.

(y):beer:(y)

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The color is closer to CARC 383 green than the photo shows, it's washed from the sun and camera. I think with time it will dull out and look pretty good. I'm thinking flat black rims, "US Army Official Use Only" on the door, and bumper markings to give some black contrast.

2022-07-11 16.47.49.jpg

Last edited:

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a CUCVIII this week. It's a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. Runs great. Needs the regular maintenance stuff of a surplus vehicle. Will need a new AC compressor but I will likely replace everything short of the evaporator like I did in my CUCVIIs. This CUCVIII was on GSA a year or two ago. So far it's gotten new(er) tires, new starter, and both new front wheel bearings. I'll probably restore this one before my 2nd CUCVII because it appears this CUCVIII needs much less work. Interior is great and the seats are not ripped at all.

Most of the writing on this vehicle is in Arabic except for the dash. I think it was a USAF vehicle until returned to GSA and then sent to USDA. Then USDA sent it back to GSA and it was sold to the public. None of the blackout light system or 24v is tampered with and all works like it should. It appears the wiring is similar to the CUCVII platform with a 12v starter and 24v just used for the slave port and accessories. The converter in the back is 4x the size of a CUCVII for whatever reason. It's made by the same company. 49,XXX miles on the vehicle and no engine warning light on. It's a 5.3L gas 4x4 with electric 4WD. It's definitely a unicorn to match my other CUCVIIs.

cucviii 1.jpg

Attachments

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember sitting in it as GSA and even bid on it. I do remember it being mentioned it drove in but smelled of death inside so no one wanted it. lol
Haven't noticed it any worse than other surplus vehicles I've gotten. Probably had something to do with the 50 pounds of mud underneath and inside. Looks like the USDA liked driving it through creeks/rivers. Took me 2 hours to get all the mud out of the frame rails and body mounts. No rust issues though.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got plans for the "new green", or are you meaning just to keep it around for some good fun?
Going to build it similar to my CUCVIIs. Probably green w/ black accents. Will be putting hutchinson beadlocks on it. Going to try actual CARC this time instead of the rapco stuff. The rapco paint just isn't doing too well in the weather and the shade varies drastically. The only good thing about it is that it's cheap and I can touch up if needed with the spray cans.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The years it spent up in Pennsylvania and New York have been taking it's toll. Both the brake and fuel lines rusted out since I last drove it 2 years ago. So far I've replaced both brake and fuel lines with stainless, new caliper lines, all new ac components (minus evaporator), and door bushings. Coming up in the near future is a new rear axle, driveshafts, leaf spring shackle flip, rear disc brake conversion, new ball joints, and a new fuel tank. I'm sure I'll find more stuff to fix too.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks