• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 2.8 Repower ??

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have been on the waitng list for one for a long time. They sent an email that they were available in limited numbers as of Fri 9am eastern.

Drock

You can buy a complete remanufactured 94-97 12 valve for $8794.90 with free shipping on Ebay right now..... Just saying:shrugs:

Drock

Sometimes there is too many mods to fit an inline 6. Its not always about price, but it is often!
Well to that I say, there's a large aftermarket support already in place dedicated to swapping 12 valves into ANYTHING. Including a complete bolt in kit for the 73-87 Chevy trucks. As of now you'd have to fab up everything from scratch for this new motor, including either a new trans, or an adapter. Not to mention the wiring Christmas tree involved with the new fangled stuff. Where as the 12 valve kit includes motor mounts & trans adapter for around $2000.00, and oh yeah the 12 valve only has 1 wire. Then there's the power factor, mildly modified 12v put out around 400HP at the turn of a screw. But I suppose if everybody wants to go with the new thing I say please do, more 12v's for me:goodjob:

gimpyrobb

If they were less, I'd probably get one. Once I heard the price, its not an option for me, but for some it may be the ticket.

red

Well to that I say, there's a large aftermarket support already in place dedicated to swapping 12 valves into ANYTHING. Including a complete bolt in kit for the 73-87 Chevy trucks. As of now you'd have to fab up everything from scratch for this new motor, including either a new trans, or an adapter. Not to mention the wiring Christmas tree involved with the new fangled stuff. Where as the 12 valve kit includes motor mounts & trans adapter for around $2000.00, and oh yeah the 12 valve only has 1 wire. Then there's the power factor, mildly modified 12v put out around 400HP at the turn of a screw. But I suppose if everybody wants to go with the new thing I say please do, more 12v's for me:goodjob:
Advance Adapters has had their hands on these engines for awhile and has already come out with at least 1 trans adapter (check out the Dirt Every Day episodes with this engine). Engine comes with everything needed to make it run/operate. Have to figure out mounts, plumbing, intake/exhaust.

I like the 12 valve, but a 1000+ lb engine with that length doesn't fit/too heavy for most lighter trucks/suv's, and is not compatible with newer emission requirements.

Drock

Advance Adapters has had their hands on these engines for awhile and has already come out with at least 1 trans adapter (check out the Dirt Every Day episodes with this engine). Engine comes with everything needed to make it run/operate. Have to figure out mounts, plumbing, intake/exhaust.

I like the 12 valve, but a 1000+ lb engine with that length doesn't fit/too heavy for most lighter trucks/suv's, and is not compatible with newer emission requirements.
Agreed, sounds great for just what they're marketing it for JEEPS not CUCV's... OOPS but then there's the 4BT for jeeps :shrugs:. Here this guy has a really good series of videos on cummins swaps..........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nRm4EMjN0s

red

Ain't arguing that a 12 valve is a bad choice for these pickups, I've swapped one into my old 87 chevy 1 ton crew cab. Nor is the Cummins 6bt the best engine ever for a swap, might as well go to a sleeved engine with a stronger bottom end such as the DT360 or step up a little in size to the DT466, CAT C7, or the Cummins 8.3 since firewall mods are already in the likely plans.

The Cummins 4bt and the Isuzu 4BD1T/4BD2T engines are swapped into these trucks, make as much power in stock form as the 6.2/6.5. Far easier swap than the inline 6. The 2.8 is just the modern day replacement for the Cummins 4bt.

Not everyone wants a big powerhouse of an engine in their pickup. Just like there's people who want a gas engine, we all have our own preference.

red

These same engines you're saying are too small for a pickup are used in medium duty vehicles. Main vehicles that used the 4bt and now 2.8 ISF? Box trucks like Fedex and UPS, which are a heavier weight class than these CUCV's.

Drock

These same engines you're saying are too small for a pickup are used in medium duty vehicles. Main vehicles that used the 4bt and now 2.8 ISF? Box trucks like Fedex and UPS, which are a heavier weight class than these CUCV's.
The big picture point I'm trying to convey is that if your going to go through all the hassle & expense of doing a diesel engine swap. Why not get as much out of an end result from all that work & expense as possible? At the end of the day, if you did an honest comparison of 2 CUCV's (#1) with this new engine,... & (#2) with a 12 valve,... The 12 valve would come out on top in (power), (cost), (ease of installation), and (reliability).

red

The big picture point I'm trying to convey is that if your going to go through all the hassle & expense of doing a diesel engine swap. Why not get as much out of an end result from all that work & expense as possible? At the end of the day, if you did an honest comparison of 2 CUCV's (#1) with this new engine,... & (#2) with a 12 valve,... The 12 valve would come out on top in (power), (cost), (ease of installation), and (reliability).
The big picture point I'm trying to convey is that the 6bt ain't the best option in all aspects as you believe. Not as fuel efficient and more difficult to swap in. Just because a 12 valve is best in your opinion doesn't mean it's the best for everyone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

If you consider the cost of the swap, $10k as in the video you posted, do you realize how much that is in miles when sticking with a 6.2/6.5? Plus the down time it takes?

I seriously thought about a swap for my pickup, but decided the 6.5 was fine for my purpose. My junk isn't small enough to need the bragging rights.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've got a VM 2.8 diesel in my Jeep Liberty. Around the same horsepower, but more torque. Even then, I think I'd hate life if I had that engine in anything heavier than what it's in now. IMHO, stick with the knowns, 4BT or 6BT.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks