• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 250 air compressor

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I picked up some M818s today. The first one does not build any air pressure. I know nothing about the 250 motors. Isn't the air comp. built in the IP? Is there a way to test them? Is there common issues with them? TIA.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The compressor is driven by the same shaft as the IP but they are not "built together".

Did you make sure your tank drains were closed or you didn't have some other massive leak somewhere? If no leaks I'd start with checking the governor. The compressor on these things are basicly just like the ones on the deuce other than the governor is mounted on the compressor instead of the firewall (like on a deuce). Could also be a valve sticking in the compressor head.

gimpyrobb

I looked at the tank drain first, that wasn't it. I was only able to guess the air comp was part of the IP because of the larger copper line going to the air tanks and the smaller copper line going to what looked like the air gov on my deuce, bolted in the same place. I never thought about the air gov being faulty. I will try swapping in a new one. Good idear, thanks!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: What m16ty said. If there are no leaks, take the gov off and give it a nice love tap with a hammer and some MMO in the ports and re install it, maybe give it a tap or two when the comp is pumping. If that don't work PM me and I think I have an unloader kit at the shop.

Sephirothq

Try feeding the air system through the emergency glad hand to check for leaks. It is really hard to find a leak if you have no air to start with.

area52

I had the same problem with my 816 when I first started it, no air pressure at all. I found one of the drain valves on the tank was missing.

the governor is on the passenger side firewall and the unloader is on the top of the compressor - betcha its one or the other.

gimpyrobb

I climbed under the truck to see if I could hear air escaping and could not. I think it might be the air gov or unloader valve.

gimpyrobb

Time was short to look at it real close Monday. I wanted to get an idea of where to start. I will start with pulling the line to verify it is pumping, then swap out the air gov, then try the unloader kit if needed. Thanks for the input, except you Richard.

Just kidding, I thought it was funny.

gimpyrobb

Sorry Doc, will call tomorrow.

Sevin7, I just picked them up for someone till he can stop up and get them. I bet docfarmall could find you one though.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez I hope he doesn't turn one on its side to check everything. That would put it right up against my new barn. I guess if he takes it to the other side out if the field he can roll it over and get it to cough.

Both the trucks were rebuilt the same month and year as mine only they look like they were never used and stored in a building for the last 8 years........

sw

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So Gimp, what was the solution to this issue?

I have one acting the same way. I will be breaking out the TM later tonight.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The valves were open on the hoses on the rear deck. Once he closed them it built up air pressure. I was checking all the other valves on the truck when he found it.

sw

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What a Goober..............

At least all the valves are closed on mine. Time to check the unloader.