• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 250 with turbo

eddiec

Well, as most of you know, I am currently without a MV. But with the upcoming arrival of my (new) 1963 m543, I have been doing a lot of searching, and studying, both on the sight, internet, as well as at all of the truck shops around this area.
My soon to be, "thanks Hot Rod" is at present time a gasser, but will be converted, either a mack or the cummins. in my resent questioning, i have learned that a jacobs exhaust brake does not hurt the engine at all, for either engine. I had been leaning toward the mack because of the turbo, but recently been told, and shown civy examples of, the cummins with a turbo installed. I have also been told that other than the changes in adjustment on the IP, there is nothing to do but bolt it on.
I know, the srossover tube will not fit between the hood and the valve cover, but you do NOT use one.
What is used is an intercooler. The air will go fron the turbo, through the intercooler, to the intake. I didn't think it would work either, but the ones that i was shown will fit between the brush guard and the radiator, just have to make the connecting brackets. (or pull a favor at your local cummins shop, and international dealership, very easy to do if you tow for them.) and i do believe that we will all agree that the cooler the air is coming into the engine, the better.
nope, no pics. delivery will not be till march, but then the fun begins.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"intercoolers" aka, charge air coolers were only recently introduced on the Cummins iron...1991. Prior to that, they were aftercooled, but only 350 HP and above for pre 1984 and from 300 HP up starting in 1985. If you get a 290 to 300 HP engine, they won't be aftercooled and you can still find jakes for them. There is also a low profile turbo x-over that might fit under the hood of an 800 series truck, they were used on Ford L series trucks. You will need a different fuel pump if you turbo a non turboed engine...unless you like lots of black smoke! You'll need another exhaust maniflod too. I think the cooling package stack would be too deep to fit an 855 and a charge air cooler/radiator package too, but people do make units that are of the side by side type.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if you put the cummins in, you will need 809 sheet metal, as the cummins is longer then the mack or the multi

martinsaunders06

i turboed my 250 back in march using parts from a 290 and have using it since with no probs. originally i used a temporary cross over and ovalled the tube so the bonnet would fit just to see how things went but since then i have fitted a larger cross over along towards the rear rocker cover and over as there is more than enough room there.. I kept my original fuel pump albeit it has been tweaked as i wasnt looking to get gready for power and my engine does not produce any black smoke and it still runs very clean which is contrary to what will wagner said could happen ,spose im just real lucky with that then.Martin

bigelk50

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like it works great. You must not be getting too much fuel if it is not pouring out black smoke. Do you happen to have any pics?

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am working on a similar project. Like Martin, I don't plan to get greedy using the NHC250. Target is 12psi +/-2psi. That may be as high as you want to go with no intercooling. 15.8:1 pistons should be ok here but more boost might require a piston change (cumming did this with each HP increase). Timing may need to be retarded a tad. I haven't got to my road test yet but makes 5.5psi at 2100(no load) 6psi at 2200(no load). No smoke to speak of during that, but no load isn't going to say much. I have my gauges installed, just l lazy I guess. Seems some here may have missed JWaller's fine thread ( below, more pics here). There is a link somewhere in it for Pittsburgh Diesel's web site w/ tech article on Cummings hop up. Folks here may enjoy that.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/28133-818-now-turbo-pics.html

p.s. Road test shows 16psi at 2100, more detail in link above, page 8, post 72

Attachments

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks Reub, I posted my source/cost for the tight turn section in other thread. Chassis Shop? The straight bit was NAPA exhaust stock, maybe 48" long. Used most of it. The 90* was left over from the donut. There is a little bend near turbo that was salvaged from the big rig hardware, just a few degrees there(not shown in this pic). Silicone was Innes(?) or what came with the used parts. Press tested my pipe at 20psi. Bumped it to 30 and blew an improvised PVC cap across yard. Substituted a paint cup and it too blasted into low earth orbit(clamps need to be real tight). Amazing what 30 psi can do.

Attachments

Stalwart

I kept my original fuel pump albeit it has been tweaked as i wasnt looking to get gready for power and my engine does not produce any black smoke and it still runs very clean which is contrary to what will wagner said could happen ,spose im just real lucky with that then.Martin
You weren't lucky, he was incorrect that a turbo install will add smoke. Additional air in a Diesel will make LESS smoke, not more. More fuel = more smoke.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks