• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cummins 6.7 ?

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same series engine , it would fit the same as the 5.9 B engine . Once you got the electronic's sorted out , man that would be killer . A 6.7 with a six speed , I would think you would need to save up for the disc brake conversion because it would go pretty good .

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can fit ANYTHING to ANYTHING with enough time and money . Do a search on the Deuce hot rod site here , I seem to remember somebody did a 5.9 conversion on a deuce , but he used a 4500 5 speed . As I remember it was quite the deal when he finished . He even converted the winch over to hydraulic power off a PTO pump , pretty wild .

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Just locate a wrecked late model Ram truck and it could donate it's heart and soul.
Will be a little more complex than that. Software and major harness changes, as well as emissions issues, would have to be tackled.

I would suggest a 5.9 setup. Preferably a 12v p-pump. Second would be a VE pumped truck or a 24v VP44'ed truck. The 24v VP44's can be ran with just the engine harness and ECM (it's mounted to the block) with some simple wiring. Another option would be a front timing cover swap on a 24v and a P-pump swap, but it's pretty costly. A 6.7 could possibly be converted in this manner as well.

HanksDeuce

I'm in the middle of a 5.9 Cummins (6BT) and Allison AT545 automatic swap. No electronics are necessary. The downfall of the swap is the Allison is only rated to 475 ft-lbs. Even got to keep the stock transfer case and intermediate driveshaft. I will update my build thread soon when I start working on the deuce in a week or so.

rongaudier

I know the 5.9 has been done before. I just saw a bunch of 6.7s somewhere brand new in box that may go for really really cheap. Of course, once all is said and done, the money saved in the initial purchase of the engine will be more than offset by the conversion process.

rongaudier

I'm in the middle of a 5.9 Cummins (6BT) and Allison AT545 automatic swap. No electronics are necessary. The downfall of the swap is the Allison is only rated to 475 ft-lbs. Even got to keep the stock transfer case and intermediate driveshaft. I will update my build thread soon when I start working on the deuce in a week or so.
This is probably the way to go. It would make the truck much more practical for highway driving. I'm betting the torque limit won't be an issue as long as you aren't drag racing with the thing. Looking forward to seeing the completed project.

w3azel

Honestly your best resource if your stuck on doing a cummins conversion especially the 6.7 is to look on ford forums for Fummins builds. All the emission and hold backs on that engine can be bypassed but its going to cost programming and parts. Also Im not seeing the possibility of keeping the Deuce trans saying it won't bolt up to the cummins engine unless you get a custom bell housing made. Its really not a great transmission and your better off getting a different manual trans that can get performance parts and clutches made for. The 135hp Hercules and 12k lb truck break theses trans as is. Now add 350< hp and 600<lb trq and your asking to destroy clutch plates and internals. Not to mention those parts that get rid of the emission equipment that won't work on your conversion are naturally going to free up 30% more power. So yes the 6.7 will fit. Yes they make all the parts minus plumbing and mounts (they do have universal) for you to do this conversion.

rongaudier

Honestly your best resource if your stuck on doing a cummins conversion especially the 6.7 is to look on ford forums for Fummins builds. All the emission and hold backs on that engine can be bypassed but its going to cost programming and parts. Also Im not seeing the possibility of keeping the Deuce trans saying it won't bolt up to the cummins engine unless you get a custom bell housing made. Its really not a great transmission and your better off getting a different manual trans that can get performance parts and clutches made for. The 135hp Hercules and 12k lb truck break theses trans as is. Now add 350< hp and 600<lb trq and your asking to destroy clutch plates and internals. Not to mention those parts that get rid of the emission equipment that won't work on your conversion are naturally going to free up 30% more power. So yes the 6.7 will fit. Yes they make all the parts minus plumbing and mounts (they do have universal) for you to do this conversion.
This has rekindled my interest. I think the 6.7 would make it the best deuce ever. We'll see if I can get my hands on that engine.

Gunzy

I still say if that's what you want go find and purchase a wrecked Ram 3500 truck with the 6.7 and 6spd. This will give you all the electronics, wiring and other parts needed. Then you just have to fab mounts and cooling lines. It would even have the parts needed to put in A/C. If you went this way then you just convert to a complete 12 volt system in your deuce. The bonus is all the leftover parts to sell and recoup some of the money laid out.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree that a wrecked Ram is the way to go , you would get all the brackets and electronics you need ,without having to go searching . The six speed would be a NICE addition to a Deuce and it would be able to handle the power .

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't say I WOULD do it , I just like to HELP OTHER's spend LOTS of THEIR money . sorta like adding fuel to the fire ! LOL !!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well, for what it's worth, the engine mounts on the engine itself is about the only parts you could use. The AC compressor/mount might be repurposed, but the lines would have to be redone completely. You might be able to make use of the power steering pump though. The rest of the donor isn't much use either. But certainly the transmission. (You might be able to make up a custom hyd. clutch setup) A complete take out engine with engine bay harness with a transmission is about all the useful parts one could grab.

welldigger

Would the deuce transfer case survive that amount of torque? I'm under the impression it wouldn't. Just something to think about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks