• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 6CTA idle oil pressure 10psi, 2000 RPM pressure 45-50

racing4funn

This seems very low but Ive never had one of these trucks so I dont know. If it is in fact low thought about pulling the sensor and installing a direct gauge to the port to see what it reads. If its the same then oil pump problems if it reads stronger then gauge problems.

Is 10 psi low for idle?

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
It seems sort of low to me also.. However both the older (2004) and the new (2012) issue of TM 9-2320-272-10 both say that the normal idle pressure is 15 psi. Page 2-3 in the old manual and page 0004-3 in the new manual. Got to love those manuals........

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If it goes up with the rpm then yes it should be fine. What are you idling at. It should be around 650-700 rpms I think. If you have only 10 psi at 1500 rpms then that's not right. It should go right up to 30-50 psi when you give it gas.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get what looks like 10 PSI sometimes at idle on my 6CTA. Its tough to tell with the gauge delineations being what they are.

SLOrazorsedge

Just picked up a NOS M931A2 with 13 miles and 9 hrs on the clock. Oil pressure at start up is just under 60 psi, settles to 30 psi after warmup. If you allow it to idle for a bit it settles down to a tick over 10 psi. If you bump the throttle it immediately pops up. Made me nervous too.