• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 7L Supercharged 45KW Get Set

jvenning

Hi everyone. New to the forum, I've been looking around here for a while to see if I can get some understanding in regards to a recent purchase. I've got my hands on an ex US Army Cummins 3 phase generator set on an aluminium sled.

I've been told its a Cummins 7L 6 Cylinder Supercharged gen set, the engine plate is missing from the enclosure. Apparently this unit was meant to be air dropped for US Army use in the arctic, and has an auxiliary petrol tank for use with the supercharger(?). I have managed to identify the following from it:

45KW 50/60 CPS Generator Set
South Wind 1030-P24 Gasoline Heater
Cummins 101114 Oil Cooler

I am looking to restore the set but would really appreciate some more information if anyone may have any idea. Attached are some photos, many thanks in advance.
James

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpgEng.jpg3.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
The last time I saw one of these sets was in about june of 1973. I will see if I have manuals. But wooooooooooooooooooie, this may be a toughy.

jvenning

Many thanks for your reply - apparently this set was running a couple of years ago as it was used at a quarry local to me, it's been left outside since but internal inspection shows that it is relatively dry. A manual would be fantastic should you find one - thanks again!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes welcome to the site. Do any of the remaining data plates have any dates? This will help you find parts and manuals. I have a friend who is a Cummings/Detroit Diesel mechanic, I'll see if he is familiar with the engine.......Be patient.

jvenning

The only date that I can easily get to would be on the oil cooler - manufactured in '57 according to the tally.

The other side of the engine is up against a wall at the moment, obvious locations where plates used to be on the enclosure fail to have them still in place unfortunately.

Guyfang

Staff member
I checked the Army ETM and no, the manuals are no longer on the disks. I spent several years working on this set, but its been 33 or 34 years ago. The schematics SHOULD be mounted on the doors. Inside the doors if I remember correctly. Starting instructions on the inside of the control panel doors. I will try one other source, but it's a long shot.

jvenning

They are indeed etched into the inside of each door, the paint is flaking so it is hard to make it out clearly so I'll have to carefully remove the paint at some point to get a better understanding. Whilst looking I couldn't see any info relating to what lump is actually inside which is probably the key factor I'd like to find out so I can do some more digging, I suppose removing the engine from the set would reveal more but not currently able to do so.

Thanks again for your help and pleased to hear you've worked on the same set - were they reliable and/or would you have any general background info at least if possible?

James

Guyfang

Staff member
James,

No, I haven't found anything. Called a guy in Montana who was working with me at the time, but he remembered less than I did! The good thing we both remembered was that the set were very reliable. Mostly we had problems with the DC charging system. We also kept an AC volt regulator handy, but that was because they were hard to get. rarely needed it. And fuel problems, but that was due to our sad fuel supply situation. It was coming from a Wehrmacht fuel point. Lots of water and trash in our fuel. We had to constantly clean/replace filters and fuel pumps.

I have been looking in FB for a guy who was our Direct Support maintenance guy. He was really the know it all, but he was older then us, so he is in his 80's if he is alive at all. Lots of water has passed under the bridge since i worked on this gen set. Good luck with it. Got to admit it sounds like fun to bring it back to life!

Guy

jvenning

Hi all, had a more serious glance today and found some stamps on the crank case (pictures attached):

41001-01
11-30-66 (November 30th 1966?)
36GL

Many thanks,
James20170402_133013.jpg20170402_133017.jpg20170402_133035.jpg20170402_133048.jpg20170402_133120.jpg20170402_133220.jpg

rsms

I have a cummins powered 185KW with a KATO generator on it that the engine looks very similar to. Mine to the best of my knowledge was non-military issue but it did come from a municipality so it's possible it could be either civilian or military. I bought mine a couple of years ago to be a project and it still hasn't made it to the front of the line. Is your machine only 45kw? Our engines look similar but it's a little hard to judge the size of your engine to compare to mine but the injection lines look identical. My engine is also one I'm not familiar with and have also have not found any manuals for it or actually positively identified what the engine model is. As stated, it's definitely old school. My local Cummins dealer was worthless which I find very hard to believe. I hope you information starts to flow your way as it would be of interest to both of us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks