• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 8.3 Intercooler

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone put a intercooler on their 8.3 cummins? Would you keep the after cooler and add the intercooler for extra help. If so did it bring down EGTS and how much? Any Pics? I am building 8.3 right now to put back in 931a2 and am going to tweak pump. Any input would be appreciated. Ive searched and have not found a 5 ton w intercooler.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have already tweaked my 8.3 and EGTs go through the roof. I would suggest taking some measurements of the space and getting a radiator and intercooler out of a salvage truck. From what I measure doing a radiator swap is the only way to put a sizable intercooler in front of the radiator. If you have actually already added an intercooler I would like to see pictures! I will be adding a radiator / intercooler to my sleeper cab tow rig. But first I am finishing up my bobbed deuce and a half.

Attachments

quickfarms

You can not run both without a plumbing jungle.

The air to air can handle a larger volume of air and can cook it to close to ambient temperature.

The other style uses the coolant to cool the air and can only cool it to engine temperature.

Tornadogt

You can not run both without a plumbing jungle.

The air to air can handle a larger volume of air and can cook it to close to ambient temperature.

The other style uses the coolant to cool the air and can only cool it to engine temperature.

The stock system can be modified to have its own coolant system/pump and would work well for short hard pulls but would heat soak over longer high boot periods it just would depend on how large a coolant reservoir you make. ..

Air to Air is efficient it is just a bit bulky to plumb and place in front of the radiator, If you can find the right OTR Tractor for parts you would be set.

74M35A2

Right on with all the above. From the limited I have read on the tractor pulling site about the 8.3L, it seems once you up the power and really get air moving into the intake, the aftercooler core becomes a restriction to air flow, so, suggestion is to run an intercooler up front, and then a gutted aftercooler, or an 8.3L intake which does not utilize the aftercooler, as there are comfogurations like this in production for medium duty trucks.

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the after cooler intake is super restrictive. My buddy is starting to fab up a intake for it at his machine shop.

74M35A2

The restrictive part of the after cooler is the heat exchanger core. If that portion is simply removed, I don't see why your buddy would have to fab up a different intake. All the work is already done, just use the existing intake, sans heat exchanger core.

hirollin87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can someone get some measurements for me? My front cap and radiator are off truck right now. What is the distance between the front grille and the radiator. Trying to see what size inter cooler I can fit. If someone could measure and maybe post a couple I pics that would be greatly appreciated.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like 6 1/2". Is the thickest radiator intercooler combined thickness. 7 1/4" if you do some cutting. The overall dimensions of the radiator are approximately 43 inches wide and 31 inches tall. I think if anything the whole radiator could move a little bit closer to the fan to give you some more room but not a ton. The fan is 4 1/4 inches from touching the radiator.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I can get that measurement as well. The only problem with that open space is it's closed off from all sides. Ie the radiator is larger than the hole or void, making it impossible to run charge tubes into that area. There is only 3/4 of an inch of clearance between the frame of the hood and the radiator at the closest point towards the bottom.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did some measuring on a sterling over the road tractor today. It had a 60 series Detroit diesel and the cooler was 2 1/2 inches thick. I need to do a bit more measuring but I think it would fit perfectly around the radiator there is 43 inches between the charge tubes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks