• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins Logo on 5 ton 8.3L engine. Never lose it again.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rarely do I see a 8.3L engine with the Cummins Blue logo plate still attached.
Silicone still stuck where it was. Clearly it doesn't work.
If yours is still attached, it will eventually fall off.

Mine was gone too and I bought a correct NOS Cummins logo on eBay.
They are hard to find. They were 3 years ago anyway.

If you want to apply your logo permanently, this is what I did.

Take the logo plate and hold it up where it is supposed to go.
Take a scribe or something and trace the outline of it onto the paint.
Once complete, use a small scraper or something to remove all the paint down to bare metal, staying within the outline.

I used Loctite H8100 Structural Adhesive to permanently attach logo.
Its a two part adhesive that when mixed, gives you about a 15 minute working time.
When fully cured, it's as strong as the surrounding metal.
I mixed up a small amount and applied to back of logo.
Used some 3M painters tape to hold logo in place while the adhesive set.
15 minutes later remove tape.

Unless your using a hammer and chisel, the logo will not come off.

I did this 3 years ago and it's still exactly where I put it.
Hot or cold engine does not affect it (I'm sure if your truck burned to the ground it would come off then).
IMG_5685.jpg
I did not buy the special applicator gun this adhesive 50mL cartridge goes into.
Just simply pushed equal amount of depth on the cartridge plungers for the amount of material desired onto a paper plate.
Then using a small piece of plastic, mixed the two together.
When mixed its a dark green in color. Perfect!
IMG_5888.jpg

If you have the cartridge gun and also the mixing tip, this job will be even easier.

You will be amazed on how hard this stuff sets up.
Ive used this stuff on other things as well (S-280 Shelter) and am impressed with how strong it is.

So, if you want the logo to stay put, this stuff works.

snowtrac nome

look at mechanics tool boxes you will see where they go. A lot of mechanics take gasket scraper and rob them to stick on their tool boxes. now that I think of it kind of reminds me of the old Cadillac hood ornament craze the gangsters had in the 90's

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
look at mechanics tool boxes you will see where they go. A lot of mechanics take gasket scraper and rob them to stick on their tool boxes. now that I think of it kind of reminds me of the old Cadillac hood ornament craze the gangsters had in the 90's
I would NEVER.........

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good thing is this would prevent simply scraping it off.

You literally would need a hammer and chisel to remove it.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That size came on all midrange engines, A's, B's, C's the little Onan L series. I can't tell you how many engines went to ReCon with them still attached...hundreds. When a ReCon engine came in, they had no badging except for a data tag. Later in life they all started coming with the silver/blue one in the 3rd pic, top of the box to the left of the beige plate. There were so many of the small ones that I made key rings out of them, re finished them and we gave them to customers. I think I still have one somewhere. People liked them. Kinda one off

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's as tidbit, in the first pic, a big C, next to that, a small C and next to that a blue/silver badge that says 440 plus. That was a very short lived experiment by Cummins ReCon. small cam....the NHC in these green things...STC, (oil controlled injection), air to water aftercooling, making 440 hp. Yes it was piston cooled. It was a camshaft eating monster. I saw these put 360-380 hp to the ground, that is way more than the normal 80% of flywheel rated power to the ground. The issue was that the technology to effectively and efficiently make good usable power at RPM less that rated didn't exist yet and the thing made 300+ pounds of rail pressure. The RPM, 18-2100 for power, and the high rail pressure/stress on the cam killed these in 20-50k miles. I saw push tubes and cam followers out the side of the engines. IIRC we only sold 5 or 6 of these and all of them failed catastrophically within the warranty period.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks