• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins nhc 250 color

RDUKW

I have searched all over and been unable to figure out what color the Cummings motor should be. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
All I have seen looked like 24087(Vietnam Era OD):?:
We have 4 - 250's and they are all that basic color.
We don't have any tan 5tons with 250's however. The only tan 5ton we have is a tipper with a mulit engine and it is tan.

That may or may not be the correct answer...just our experience;-)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost all of the motors that I have seen have been BLACK. I have seen a few that were 383 CARC green, but these almost exclusively were rebuilds. Even most of the rebuilds that I have seen have been black. I have never seen an NHC250 in Cummins tan like some of the later motors.

datsunaholic

When I was in the reserves most were OD green, but I have seen black ones. The one in my unit's 900 series was OD green though, mid 80s mfg. Never seen a tan one, but we didn't have any tan trucks except a badly painted 109.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The engine in my 818 is 383 carc, and I'm pretty sure it is a new engine, not a rebuild. It's got the shiniest data plate I've ever seen.

RDUKW

Thanks for the input guys. Mine looks like it was black originally but there is not much paint left. If painted black should it be semi gloss or gloss. I am tossed between black and the 24087. Does anyone have any pictures of this engine all painted up nice in either color?

Thanks
Ryan

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can tell the date of manufacture by looking at that data plate. I saw a data plate on a motor that looked new that said 1973...and upon further review, I saw a data plate on the bell housing that indicated that the motor was rebuilt in the 90s. The motor could still be new I suppose and have come out of dry storage. My M917 has what I believe is a new motor (NTC400) and the build date on the motor says late-80s...but everything else on the truck is new and there is a data plate that says that the truck was overhauled in 2004 (1,600 miles on the speedo) so it leads me to guess that the motor is new. The truck was built in 1979. The motor is too clean to be a rebuild or an original motor. It literally looks new.

I am not saying that there were no tan NHC250s...only that I have never seen one in the 10 plus M809 series trucks that I've owned and the 100 or so that I have inspected either at the DRMO, GL, or at places like John Winslow's or Dave Newman's.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the Cummins factory, the were Cummins Beige, it is a patented color, as are the others, Bluke, Titanium Black, Apex Red, Old Gold. When we used to see the 800 and 900 series and OSHKOSH trucks, they were OD in the OSHKOSH, and a satin/semi gloss in the 800/900 trucks, but, there were the odd beige ones too. I'd do it Cummins Beige...a classic as are the early 5 tonners.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if the NHC250s originally came in black straight from the factory. With the M939A2s, you can tell an early from a late motor by the color. The M939A2s were manufactured from 1989 through 1992 and I have never seen a tan motor in a truck that was pre-1991. However, all of the 1992 trucks that I have either owned or seen have had tan motors. Assuming this is correct...admittedly my sample size is small (six A2s that I've owned and a couple of dozen that I've either inspected or seen)...is it possible that the earlier NHC250 motors were black (or green) and the later motors like Kevin's that came from Cummins were tan? Even the freshly rebuilt M818s that come out have black motors and they are new.

Gamagoat1

According to our Cummins dealer/shop. The NHC Cummins came from the factory in the late 60's and 70's with Cummins gray. I've seen several in the can, nonrebuilt that were gray. It's a real dark gray. Cummins sells it as Cummins Gray.
The newer 400's etc were tan or beige.

Last edited: