• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins NHC250 Head removal question

Kingpepsi

The piston has a clear crack right down the middle. It was either a defective piston, a poor rebuild in 2006, or way WAY too much ether. Nothing else appears to be wrong. The head gasket was intact and everything else physically looks fine.

Kingpepsi

There is a spider crack in the block just below the bottom of the Liner. The date on the motor is 2006 so it was either rebuilt in 2006 or new from cummins in 2006. The engine is spotless outside.

GHall

I gotcha, that's pretty wild it blew like that after a recent rebuild.. I bet you're right, either a defective piston or shoddy rebuild. My motor is the same, an 07' and as shiny as it could be. How many miles is it showing?

Vintage iron

No wonder it blew. That means it was driven at 580 mph for ten hours :) looks like a bad rebuild. It is amazing how much a piston will expand. If the clearance is to tight then it will lock right up !

rangereter

Pistons are only made one diameter...Cylinder liners are one made one inner diameter...this is probably the result of an injector tip failure that was continued to be ran after an identifiable skip (one hole fuel overload). The catastrophic failure is probably the end-state of "I don't have a nickle into 'er" syndrome. I do however wonder what the extent of the spider crack below the liner is? From what I can see from the pics is, one hole kit and a head...definitely cheaper than an engine R&R...(and faster too).
Regards, Bob

Kingpepsi

Pistons are only made one diameter...Cylinder liners are one made one inner diameter...this is probably the result of an injector tip failure that was continued to be ran after an identifiable skip (one hole fuel overload). The catastrophic failure is probably the end-state of "I don't have a nickle into 'er" syndrome. I do however wonder what the extent of the spider crack below the liner is? From what I can see from the pics is, one hole kit and a head...definitely cheaper than an engine R&R...(and faster too).
Regards, Bob
The amount of metal and debris that has gone through the engine scares me. The oil was completely blended with the coolant and came out grey in color. I dont really want to take the chance of fixing this one hole only to have the rest of the motor crap the bed on me. Remember the liner is mashed up in the pan, the rod is twisted, and 1/4 of the piston is still missing. It would take me a week just to get all of the crap out of the motor nevermind the cost of the liner, rod, piston, gaskets, head, and various other stuff. A known good motor would be perfect right now. I would have loved to slap a liner in and drop a head on it but i cant find the parts cheaper than a whole motor.

Kingpepsi

Are you going to have that beast ready for the Sussex show in April 27, 28th. You can join our convoy !
I have no idea Matt. I gotta get this thing together and see how much I can trust it before I make any trips with it. Plus i need to get it registered and all that other stuff. I would say it probly wont be ready till june.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks