• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins vs Fermont 10KW Gen Set - What makes the Cummins worth a higher price premium at gov.planet auctions

4WD

Cummins Power Generation MEP-1040 10kW Gen Set brings a much higher sale price than Fermont MEP-803A 10kW Gen Set at gov.planet auctions.

Why is that?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because people believe they are better. I disagree. They may be better for military customers, who will have forward looking access to replacement parts through the typical parts networks. Civilians will have a heck of a time getting some new parts for these in the future.

If I can't turn a critical piece of equipment on, because a computer (and screen) have failed to work properly... its not worth the weight of the paper used to purchase it.

4WD

So who is buying the mep1040 at auction? Is it retail shoppers who glom onto the flat screen display and newer paint job on the motor. They're paying close 50% more according to the last few weeks results.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of features that make those sets nice... not everyone thinks about equipment the same way I do. Same reason you wont find some folks buying XL trim trucks, but only Platinum, etc.

You arent getting better, for the money, than the second gen MEPs... in my opinion.

Ray70

Hey... my P.O.S F250 with 230K is an XL model and I have an 002 and 003 I intend to keep as my own.
I would not buy the Platinum pickup, nor the Cummins 1040 for the exact same reasons.
Both are nice when they are working correctly but in an emergency situation I want to be able to fix my generator if needed, not have to send it to The" GEEK SQUAD" at Best Buy to have the computer reflashed! ( joking of course, they wouldn't be able to handle it )
Same with my truck. I can buy 5 decent trucks that may need some future TLC or a single shiny new Platinum that will be out of warranty the day before the electronic go haywire and leave me stranded because of some dead computer chip made in Asia.... and on indefinite backorder!
More expensive doesn't always mean better when you look at the total package.

4WD

What years are the second gen Mep?

Care to list the high points that make it better than a m803. Thats quite a premium they earn.

Are they more durable in areas other than the electronic display area?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1993-2012

The second gen is the MEP-802/803 style. First gen were all air cooled (MEP-002/003, etc).

The second gen is not a 'digital' machine... its an advanced analog machine, if I were to use such descriptions. There are no computers. Each generation has its quirks/flaws. The 80x series are not infallible by any stretch... but they do produce good, clean electricity, are relatively easy to diagnose and repair, and should outlast most of us given proper preventative maintenance.

4WD

So the mep1040(flat screen display) is the third gen.

Edit. So people pay a premium because its newer and appears more modern.

Last edited:

jmenende

I love my 1040 and got to recently test it during a 12 hour outtage. Its low fuel consumption was the main reason I decided to bring her home. I do have an 803a at my office in case backup is needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks