• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Curious if im slowly killing my truck..?

usmc_05

So heres my question, I have a M1009 with stock everything. I live in Florida now and drove my blazer down there from NC like 700 some miles. Anyway i was nervous about driving it that far.. but with some routine preventative maintnance, It did absoulutley fine. I made it with no problems. 2 years later the sturck is still doing fine, its almost got 90k on it and every know and then i drive it on the high way doing 65-75 the whole time, for at least an hour or 2. Anyway, it sounds like my truck is operating at extremely high rpm's when i have it at that speed. My main question is.. is this safe? Have i just been lucky all this time, or is the vehicle actually capable of preforming like this occasionally? Any input would be appreciated.

Also maybe long trips youve had in your cucv, id be intrested to hear how far these things have traveled (no trailer stories)!

At 65-75mph in a stock M1009 with stock 30-31" tires you should be between 2100-2600rpm. Which isn't that high for a 6.2. They redline around 3500-3600rpm.

Diesels are low-revving engines. So if they are going at 2500 rpm they sound like they are running high. Not like a gasser running at 2500rpm.
I don't think you are doing any harm. There are guys that run their M1008 with stock tires at 70mph (which would be around 3400rpm) and they haven't had any problems.

saddamsnightmare

January 4th, 2012.

USMC_05:

These are just my thoughts, for whatever you want to take them for, but my bet is your M1009 has 3/4 ton rear axles and was not really geared for more then 45-55, and normal convoy speeds at the time were 40-45 MPH if deuces were included in the run. Your truck would probably appreciate it more if you would ease down on the speed and it might last a little longer that way. The unfortunate fact is too many of us buy these trucks and figure they are just militarized Chevy's, yes and no.
Yes, the basis was a civillian chevy model, but Uncle's intended uses were as a substitute for tactical trucks in the US, and that they would operate in convoys with trucks not built for road speed. Yes, my 1963 Swiss Unimog could go 60+ briefly with the lighter Swiss NDT's, but with the German MPT's she would be happier at 35-40 and will run at that speed all day long. Newer Unimog 1300L's can, with Ultra-High Speed axles (very rare in military trucks) do 70 MPH all day long, a S404, never ever able to do it even briefly, two different beasts.
If you want to keep your truck and like it, ease off, if not, continue to drive it like you stole it.... just food for thought.:driver: For the fellow's thoughts above, I would add "they haven't had any problems (yet)"

TCUCV

usmc_05
The M1009's are geared very differently than the M1008 . . . I believe in the low 3's vs. 4.56 gears in the M1008. I think your fine with running the high speeds but I personally wouldn't go over 75.

If youv'e been driving like this for as long as you have and haven't had a problems then this is a good sign. Remember it is a diesel so the engines are going to sound very different compared to your normal gas guzzling truck. I have to remind myself this constantly:beer:

Tanner

If you break the 6.2 engine, they're cheap & you'll get good at swapping it out... I'd recommend keeping it under 70mph, with under 65mph sustained being preferable. When 6.x engines grenade, it's usually with an abrupt *bang*; seldom do they start letting you know that they're headed towards self-destruction via weeks and months of creeks, groans, or rattles ahead of dying - YMMV.

Good Luck!

'Tanner'

Anubis8472

I try to keep mine right at 65.
I have to fight it the whole time though, it wants to run.
If I let it have it's way it'll settle in right at 75.

Keep an eye on your balancer and check the bottom end for the web cracks issue.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, just keep in mind that it is an old truck.

panama

I have road-tripped between Miami and Tampa, North Carolina and Virginia regularly. I find my 1009 likes to creep up to 75-80 if I am not keeping an eye on the GPS. I try to keep it around 70. I have put thousands of road miles on my truck with no engine problems at all (suspension, u-joints, steering, leaks...plenty of those problems). What I HAVE learned is that if I want to get decent M.P.G. it will not do it at 75. 60 seems to be the sweet spot for best mileage on mine. I have never worried about hitting the road with her at all. Been a real pleasure to drive...minus the road noise!

natemccabe

I agree with panama, I drove my 1009 between Wasilla and Fairbanks every other weekend durring the summer, 350 miles one way and I have had no ill effects yet other than my wallet. With fuel here in Alaska @ $4.10 to $4.65 in some places going 75 saves about an hour but I have to filll up before I reah the final destination. Driving with the hubs lock in is killing my millage as well in the winter.

bshupe

Im new here so sorry if this is covered someplace else...... Is there any merit to swapping the gears out if you plan to drive it a long way frequently? Or swapping the trans for an OD/4spd?

idM1028

Im new here so sorry if this is covered someplace else...... Is there any merit to swapping the gears out if you plan to drive it a long way frequently? Or swapping the trans for an OD/4spd?
Depends on what you drive and how you drive it. If you're driving a M1009 around at 60, 65, maybe 70 tops on stockish tires, not really. If you want to do the same in one of the trucks (M1008, M1028, etc.) then yes. However, if you're like me and keep it around 55, 60 tops and just put up with the tailgaters, then no.

usmc_05

Awesome thanks for all the input I appreciate it, Its a small peice of mind at least. I still take pretty good care of it and prob only take it on the highway onece or twice a month, but it always gets me where i need to go! Quiestion on a before mentioned post, what and where is a harmonic balancer.

Whitey

I've gotten up to 70 mph or so and just didn't like the sound coming from the engine. And this is in a truck that started first turn of the key yesterday at well below freezing. I trust the engine, and have spares, but would rather keep it at 60 to keep it happy.

I guess I mostly don't like the higher RPM sounds coming from under the hood. That's just me. Enjoy your truck!

-Whitey

choll

My 2 cents here. I have owned my 1009 since 2000 I have put on over a 150,000 miles on it my self, had 35000 when purchased, It is maintained VERY well, oil changed every 5000 miles, transmission flushed every 30000 Mobil 1 trans fluid used, it has made many trips from Seattle to Las Vegas and a few cross country trips. The only major issue I hade in 12 years is one starter, one alt, and at 120,000 miles the IP was replaced. Thats it other than usual wear parts. It is still bone stock except carpet, radio and center consol. When on the highway I drive like I stole it Im always doing 75-80 mph. City driving Im a little better no fast starts from lights or stop signs.

cpf240

Quiestion on a before mentioned post, what and where is a harmonic balancer.
Big pulley on the crankshaft, bottom of the engine, just in front of the oil pan. Crawl under the front bumper and look up, can't miss it! There is a recent thread about inspecting and replacing them.

wrex

I've taken mine on several trips (about 5 now), each over a 1500 - 2000 miles - one way. I purchased it in April or so, last year. No issues, yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks